RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im looking at doing an air to coil conversion on my 4.0 p38 and most of the kits im looking at are 2 inch lift do i need to also change the shocks to cope with a +2inch lift? as most kits im finding dont come with them.

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yes, is the answer, but you will spoil the car. Stay with air suspension as it was designed.
You can get a 2" lift with Arnott Gen III air bags; or stick with Dunlops and modify the spring seats on the axles to give an extra lift.
It will involve a bit of welding and fabrication which may or may not be allowed depending upon where you are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi mate thanks for your quick reply, i really want to stick with the original set up, but just keep having problems with faults on the eas system ive reset the system and got the springs to inflate again but now it doesnt want to adjust highs via the control inside, on checking most of my faults say the valves stuck closed and then stuck open & also cannot lower spring im not sure if i would help to rebuild the valve block with new o rings or not? so the arnott gen 3's give a 2inch lift? im in the uk and not sure on the legality of modifying the spring seats.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi mate thanks for your quick reply, i really want to stick with the original set up, but just keep having problems with faults on the eas system ive reset the system and got the springs to inflate again but now it doesnt want to adjust highs via the control inside, on checking most of my faults say the valves stuck closed and then stuck open & also cannot lower spring im not sure if i would help to rebuild the valve block with new o rings or not? so the arnott gen 3's give a 2inch lift? im in the uk and not sure on the legality of modifying the spring seats.
Rebuild the valve block, replace the ECU that is attached to the valve block, rebuild the compressor, and either replace the airbags or verify that they bags do not leak. It sounds like a lot, but the compressor & valve block rebuild are cheap and very simple to rebuild (many Youtube videos on how-to), and the ECU is somewhat expensive but very commonly are bad since they were quite poorly built in the first place. All of this will cost you about the same, but much less effort than a coil spring conversion.

We did all of that to our P38, and it's been 2 years of flawless, smooth, proper air suspension. Coil conversions sag quickly, and ride poorly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, is the answer, but you will spoil the car. Stay with air suspension as it was designed.
You can get a 2" lift with Arnott Gen III air bags; or stick with Dunlops and modify the spring seats on the axles to give an extra lift.
It will involve a bit of welding and fabrication which may or may not be allowed depending upon where you are.
+1

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
So you are not looking to lift the car? You want to fit coils to solve a problem with the EAS and the only coils you can find are +2". Not very logical.

My advice would be stay with the EAS and get help here to get it working again.

As a first step I would fit a pressure gauge to see what is going on. You can get the bits cheaply on Ebay.

·
Registered
405 Posts
to answer your question , no you do not have to increase shock length . 20''from center of axle to top off wheel arch is standard operating height,40 to 50 mm lift from that height is within the parameters of the suspension . i think the airbags lift up to 60 odd mms from standard height.
ps air bags sus is better if you want to maintain the system

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Question ..... is a +2" coil ..... 2" longer than the normal EAS highway height ? i.e. the same as the off road height for EAS. In which case the factory shocks will fit.

or ..... is it 2" longer than the off road height for EAS ?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I suspect 2" over standard height, so about the same as EAS on High. Or it will be until they sag then it will be lower than on EAS. If you want to lift a P38, you poke the rocker switch in the middle of the dash simple as that. If you have problems with the EAS, fix them. valve stuck open and valve stuck closed faults are almost always caused by leaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts