RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all,

My 1999 P38 sunroof is driving me around the bend at this stage. The sunroof will open no problem but refuses to close. At this stage I have replaced both the switch pack and the motors, but to no avail. I have searched the forum but can't seem to find anyone with a similar issue. Anyone one got any ideas why this may be happening. Area the close / opening functions on separate circuits or something?

Thanks

Geoff

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
Wont be the motor because it is a simple reversing motor. If it opens fine then the motor is fine. At stretch it could be the switch pack, usually when a switch pack fails it is one of the front windows that go out first due to extra use. Most people rarely use their sunroofs on a regular basis.

My bet would be on something binding in one of the runners. The drive cable may have developed a burr or fray where it only pinches or binds going one way. I fought this on one of my old P38s. I pulled the entire cassette out while the headliner was out for new fabric. Everything looked perfect, nothing bent or pinched. It was not until I puled the motor and removed the drive cable that I found one of the loops was odd shaped and had a little pinch/peak instead of being perfect round. Aslong as the imperfection was being pulled through the channel it was fine. If it was being pushed through the channel it would bind.

Kind of a cruddy description but I think you get the idea. You can easily remove the glass panel and look for any obvious bits like a screw sticking up or dry lift arm not stay flat until final closure.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
31 Posts
Sounds like a binding/pinching. Goes about 1/2 way back sounds like a leaf getting crumbled. Project for another day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts