RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have been dealing with a leak that I have been unable to track down.

At first I noticed water in the spare tire well and did the seal and bend modification to the rear seal. It still leaks a bit but I’ll replace the seal soon; way better.

Then I noticed water soaking through the headliner over the rear passenger seat. I pulled the sagging headliner, as I planned to anyways, and tracked down the rear drain tubes. The bottom rubber bits were caked closed with dirt and debris so I cleaned them out and snipped the opening wider. I reattached them both and blew air through to be sure; seems all good.

The front drain tubes were all good, though the end grommets are gone, instead the hoses just poke out the two drain holes in the side panel.

Still leaked into the cabin from the sunroof rails, so pulled off the roof rails and cleaned out a whole bunch of pine needles and dirt that had built up in there due to the sliding doors all being broken. I replaced the rails with working ones; still leaking.

So here’s what’s happening, water is dripping down through the rectangular holes in the sunroof cassette, below the rails. It drips down in almost a flow into the front or rear seats depending on if I’m accelerating or braking; its pretty comical. So why is this happening if the drains are clear? How in the world can I fix this, does the glass need a new seal?

Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated. Obviously I can’t replace the headliner until I have sorted out this leak.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
415 Posts
I have taken the sunroof apart a few times. The window seal does work as it keeps large amounts of water from going into the channels. To adjust take off the trim and loosen the glass hex screws and let the glass lay centered and retighten the screws. The water that gets past the window seal is taken up by the drain. Never had a leak. the trim at the rear of the sunroof must be installed it is a metal piece and blocks the rear part of the roof. But yes the window has a seal in it and you need it.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here’s me tracking down all of the leaks, and wiring new speakers and stereo/sub...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And starting to take out the windshield trim. Lots of pooling and leaking water from the screw holes....

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
I have a 1999 P38, had a leak I couldn't track down for awhile. Turned out it was a bad weld right under that channel molding on the top of the truck, drivers side. It was very close to the front of the vehicle, near the windshield, probably around 4 to 5 inches back from the start of the molding. Since you have it apart, may want to check that area as well. Seems like it was a common problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
since the filter was long gone the corner drains were clogged with debris, I removed everything vacuumed and reseated it all up. The little screw and plastic housings were all rusted and the seals were long gone. It was $50 for a new set of 14 housings and screws so I just sealed up all of the holes and will seal up the cowling with RTV instead.

I replaced the non existent filter with window screen, and also covered the other two sets of holes as well. Because of the clogged drains, and the leaking cowling screw holes, water was leaking into the cabin at the front footwells. As you can see I removed the carpets and they were drenched. It took several days for them to drain and dry completely. The leak i was dealing with from the sunroof rails is due to the glass seal having come apart at the join, so a new one is on the way.

Here is a gratuitous photo of the exterior as I repaint all of the trim and such. 1999 Autobiography, with soon to be even more custom interior. Corners and sides are off for smoking, have 2002 side trim ready to go as well...

Soon enough the safari rack, side steps front brush guard, factory winch & cover, and rear taillight guards will he added once refreshed and painted. The new sound system and personalized two-toned interior will come next...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So just to close the door on this thread....

The foot wells we’re getting water egress from the windshield wiper cowel leaking into the cabin filter housing and right down the firewall into the cabin. I pulled out the screws and the little square inserts that are supposed to be sealed, and sealed up the whole thing with sealant. I attached the cowel to the truck with a bead of sealant as well. It was going to cost me $50 for the screws and housings, with no guarantee that it would solve the leak, and definitely not permanently. Anyways, after a week of drying out the carpet, no more floor leaks.

As for the water on the sunroof rails it turns out that the sunroof seal has split at the back where the two ends meet which is allowing water to get in on top of the cassette. The drains work perfectly, but some water was spilling onto the rails and leaking through the slits down onto the seats. I taped over the section of split sunroof seal and no water got in after a few days of Pacific Northwest spring rain. A new seal is on the way.

The water leaking into the spare tire well was mostly solved by following the TSB and bending the metal lip and adding some sealant here and there. I’ll do a better job of sealant once I get a new rear seal. Still, only a few drops have gotten in since the repair.

For most part my water leaking issues have been completely solved with the above measures (new sunroof seal will fix sunroof leak, and new rear hatch seal with sealant will complete the rear hatch leak solution.

Cheers, hope this thread helps!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, I also replaced the windshield wiper cowel filter with window screen from Home Depot, and added a section for the two spots where the filter never covered. That will stop debris from blocking the drain holes in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts