RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done this and or had any success on a reset without a diag tool?

Hi,
Contrary to popular belief, I've just found out that you CAN reset the
dashboard SRS light yourself - no Rover dealer required !

All you need is a paper-clip.
Directly under the steering wheel, just under the bottom of the dash board,
above the pedals, you can see a wide grey connector. A few inches towards
the drivers door from this, is a horizontal 2-pin yellow connector - with
nothing connected to it. Bend your paper-clip into a U shape, and stick the
ends into the 2-pin yellow connector, so shorting the pins.
Turn on the ignition, and the SRS light will illuminate for a few seconds,
and then go out.
Now pull out your paperclip (but not right out), so breaking the link.
After a couple more seconds, the SRS light will illuminate again.
Now stick the paper clip back in, making the link again, and after a couple
of seconds, the SRS light will blink twice.
Remove the paper-clip, and then switch off the ignition.

You have to do this all fairly quickly - you only get a few seconds between
each step. Because you can't see the yellow connector and the SRS light at
the same time, it's really a two-person job.

That resets the SRS system - next time you start the car, the lamp will be
off - obviously this only applies if you have no fault ! If there is a
fault, the light will illuminate again. I know I had no fault, because the
light illuminated (and then stayed illuminated) when my alternator died.

It is tricky but it is 100% correct (stolen from Rover by an enthusiast)
Let us know how you get on.
cheers.........Dave

http://community.preloved.co.uk/forums/discussion/6041/srs-warning-light.html

·
Administrator
27,800 Posts
Has anyone ever done this and or had any success on a reset without a diag tool?
There is a huge difference between a Rover and a Range Rover. In addition there is no reference in your link as to which models this procedure covers. It'd be great if this would work on a P38 but I am fairly sure we have no grey connector or open yellow connector as referenced in the link.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,198 Posts
Definitely haven't seen a random yellow connector in the dash on any P38 I've worked on.... in theory, it may work as I think it *could* be the same ECU - but it would be a case of having to try and find the wiring diagram for the Rover, and working out what pins you are actually shorting - and then see what they correspond to on the P38.. which if they aren't normally connected, then you have to take most of the centre console apart to get to the ECU in the first place.

Oh, and if Rover are anything like Range Rover, then the electrical manual probably will be pretty sketch on wiring for the SRS system. In fact, I'm 90% sure RAVE doesn't have ANY wiring diagrams for the SRS wiring - so it would be a case of tracing it all manually...

Interesting to see if it does work, if someone has the time and inclination to investigate it (and has access to a Rover to try it... the link suggested something about a Rover 600 in a couple of posts above, so I assume that it *may* be aimed at that type of vehicle...

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,198 Posts
RAVE ETM for Bosch rigs has an SRS section with schematics. However when I went through it jut now I didn;t see any terminated or spare connections.
Ahh, I do seem to remember seeing something like that before - hence the 90%!!, I looked in the 1997 ETM for GEMS vehicles - as the Bosch ones self-clear on power on if the fault has been rectified :)

Pretty sure the ECU is different too now - after a bit of searching on google.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Can confirm the above from Marty and RRTH: This is sadly a myth; The earliest P38s had the TRW SRS system just like the ROVER 800 but which can NOT be re-set other than via the diagnostics connector. Before this Rover used several different airbag manufacturers/modules (which had this 'spare reset connector'). The best use for a paperclip and a P38 is just to keep all your invoices/bills in one place... sorry.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just had a look and no yellow connector, unscrewed the 4 screws holding said panel on and hey presto there it is.
1998 4.6 hse UK model.

im not going anywhere near it with a paperclip tho.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

The SRS light does not come on ever based on mileage. It should come on during start up and extinguish shortly after turning the ignition switch to position 2, this indicates self test of the system was successful.

Best regards

Jos

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,198 Posts
Just had a look and no yellow connector, unscrewed the 4 screws holding said panel on and hey presto there it is.
1998 4.6 hse UK model.

im not going anywhere near it with a paperclip tho.
Picture speaks a thousand words... :)

Or as the kids are saying these days... Pics or it didn't happen :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts