RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - new to the P38. So far just shoved a new power steering box on, steering dampener, brakes etc. However one thing that bugs me is that no matter what speed I go the speed limiter just flashes 20mph until I turn it off and the cruise control doesn't work. Is this to do with the spring conversion or is it another issue - if it's the right height sensors can I just zip tie them up?

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
If you can turn the speed limiter on and off, then it is working. While it is flashing 20MPH, it is waiting for you to program the speed by holding the button in. Cruise not working is either leaking vacuum lines on the cruise system or you haven't switched it on using the pushbutton on the dash. Neither is anything to do with the coil spring conversion, that is the cause of the poor ride and dubious high speed handling.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
134 Posts
I don't see anything about poor ride and dubious handling. You might need an alignment now since you changed some steering components and were wrenching in that area.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Providing you get the message up on the dash at start up saying EAS MANUAL then the speed limiter is as above.

Check the cruise issues as above. Also worth looking at how finely the brake light switch is set (i.e. do you breathe on the pedal and the lights come on or do you have to move it 1/4" or so). If it is set too finely it will also impact on the cruise operation. Speaking from experience, I had this problem, got under the dash and bent the brake light switch a little to give it a bit more free play and voila, instand CC recovery.

Do the usual P38 checks of fuses and there is also a relay under the dash for the CC that you should hear click when you press the steering wheel button.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
I don't see anything about poor ride and dubious handling.
He won't have mentioned it as he's bought a car already on coils so will assume it is normal.......

·
Registered
669 Posts
Don’t believe the car has a speed limiter in the accepted sense, it has an overspeed alert starting at 20mph and upwards in 5mph increments iirc on each press of the stalk button which then beeps when you exceed the set speed... mine didn’t work I’m assuming from lack of use as multiple presses brought it back to life,,, wish that would have been the same for the cruise but about to wire in a later Ecu which I did on my previous 4.0 to sort that

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The compressor is still working - but they removed (no idea why) perfectly good bags to replace them with springs - am saving up for new bags and then I'll be back to uppy downy time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts