RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, im a newbie here. Actually this is my first post so i expected to get the newbie treatment lol!

Anyway, i currently have my current car up for sale and when it sells im looking into getting a Range Rover.

Now, i want a Sport HSE but they are MEGA PRICEY and i cannot afford one, but want the look!

I have noticed you can get the HSE Kit pretty cheap from eBay and alike but was wondering, does that kit fit on a P38 Range Rover?

By KIT i mean the front bumper, grill, lights, rear bumper and so on.

Also, im after a diesel which does good mpg and is pretty quick too. Turbo diesels are they? Was hoping for some recomendations on this also!

Anyway guys, i look forward to spending all my time on this forum and getting to know some of you too!

Thanks and cant wait for the replies...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
Are you sure you want to go through this as your first post? :lol: A sport fronted P38 looks very much like your avatar. You might want to click the search button and take a look at the kind of heat that is coming your way. :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
WOW tricked out P38....

In life there are do's and don'ts - and you're so about to do one of the don'ts!! If you buy a P38.... please accept the fact that a P38 does NOT look like a new modern RR/ LR with shiny headlight and honeycone grill... A P38 is pretty boring (with modern design in mind) but it's only so boring that you will not get tired of looking at it with time!!! I know I love mine - despite of lots of small problems.... GRRRR!!!!!

Spending / Wasting money on a kit is only going to make your car worth even less money (almost impossible nowadays LOL) but no one will buy a tricked out rangie unless they have made the changes themselves (og course there are exceptions, but that's the general oppinionin my experience - only 10 years in the auto industry).

Whether diesel or petrol - matter of how heavy a foot you have - In my book, I could NEVER live with a 2.5 Diesel - hate the sound, smell, lacking power and idea of owning a diesel.... Hi I drive a P38 diesel...... to me, that's like saying: Hi Everybody! I'm cheap.... But I'm petrolhead by nature. No offense meant to anyone!!!!

Buy a nice one - with a good history - and keep it tidy - it will give you more pleasure in time - a save the money for maintenance (you're probably gonna need it)

Ferdinand - V8 - what else?!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Everytime i'm dreaming of a new RR, i think hey i have a V8 in my P38 and those guys with fancy headlights and brand new rangies are often running diesels at least in France.

I'd rather keep my old and V8 than go diesel 8)

Stand out of the crowd :mrgreen:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Go for the diesel but forget about the body kit - you'll end up spending so much time on creating it, you'll have wished you'd just bought the real thing! :D

I have a diesel untuned and its perfectly fast enough - and I have a bit of boy racer running through my blood yet - sure you get the power and speed in a V8 but as the speedo needle rises, the fuel gauge drops - horses for courses i'd say!

but if that's what you want - go for it!

·
Registered
102 Posts
02 and below has solid front axle. The new stuff is pretty, but really caters to soccer moms now. THANKS FORD!! :roll: :x A diesel would be cool, theyre very rare stateside tho. Id make my own, and run B100, would be pretty cool.

·
Registered
640 Posts
rmackay said:
in a V8 but as the speedo needle rises, the fuel gauge drops - horses for courses i'd say!
At least in a V8 you need a Speedo with a Diesel you need a Calendar :lol:

Cheers

·
Registered
229 Posts
If that's what you want to do, go for it, but a word of warning, nothing fits,everything has to be altered not only to make it fit but also to make it look right. Best of luck if you decide to give it a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your replies and i do appreciate all your comments and suggestions!

I have has alot of experience with auto tuning, and styling etc aswel as the bodywork side of things..

Basically, i was wondering, and more wondering if someome would answer me (lol), if the HSE Sport bumpers and lights and grill fit on a P38?

I may end up going a different route, but do they physically fit and has it been done before?

Also, i wont be going Range Rover unless i can make / have a Sport HSE be it original or replica.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Doldy said:
Thanks for your replies and i do appreciate all your comments and suggestions!

I have has alot of experience with auto tuning, and styling etc aswel as the bodywork side of things..

Basically, i was wondering, and more wondering if someome would answer me (lol), if the HSE Sport bumpers and lights and grill fit on a P38?

I may end up going a different route, but do they physically fit and has it been done before?

Also, i wont be going Range Rover unless i can make / have a Sport HSE be it original or replica.
It won't be even a replica.
I've seen tons of replicas in UK or USA but in those days the whole body was changed for the replica.

Trash this idea you'll only have a monster that isn't a P38 nor a Sport HSE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your not understanding me, i dont want to "trash the idea".

Im not looking to create a FULL replica, just most things...

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Doldy said:

HEAD. BRICK WALL. ----- BANG. BANG. BANG.

Right, I'd like this to be the last time...,
The bumpers, lights, trim etc are all broadly the same size and shape however the bolt holes won't line up and when you do finally attach everything none of the swage lines and radiuses will line up. To make the sport front end work on a p38 you need to chop the bonnet up. AFIK nobody has done this.
The inner structures and construction methods are different so bolting l320/L322 parts to the outside will end up making it look out of proportion.

Why don't you read this thread for an idea of how bad your car could look.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30843&start=0&hilit=ruin+your+p38

·
Registered
401 Posts
Seriously, buy a p38 because you want a p38. It's not a sport and that's why I like it.
Tim (Scotland) you beat me to it. Granted it was done very poorly.

There is no such thing as a cheap Range Rover IMO.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Right, first of all YOU WILL NOT BUILD A REPLICA RR SPORT. You can customise a P38 by doing body mods. If you want to use parts from a sport the bumpers,grill,lights do not fit but they can be made to fit. There is a fair amount of alterations to the bumpers that have to be plastic welded. The grill has to be reshaped to line up with the bonnet. The front panel of the P38 has to be cut about to enable the lights to be fitted and finally the front of the bonnet has to be reshaped to line up with the new lights.It is a lot of work but if you have the skill to do it, go for it. Don't be put off by the efforts of others.Just because they made a mess of things doesn't mean that you have to. After saying all this if the reason doing this is because you realy want a sport forget it. On the other hand if you want to CUTOMISE a P38 go for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for making it clear guys, i think im going to start looking into the VOGUE / L322 models now rather than the P38.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts