RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am sure this has been asked before but I have struggled to find all the answers I am looking for, seeking forums. Any info or pointers will be appreciated. Been struggling to make sense of the the RAVE diags (not being too savvy with that sort of thing) & still researching the info provided by it. From what I can tell several entertainment system components are connected to the BECM. If I disconnect are there considerations I have to beware of?

I have a 2001 Japanese import to New Zealand, classed as "Royal Edition", 175 000km on the clock. Good luck finding any info about the "Royal Edition" P38. Basically, I think it is an HSE (RHD UK) modified for/ by the Japanese market, with a couple of gold stickers, touting it's the "Royal Edition", a Japanese GPS added with a Panasonic display in a modified dash. There was a Panasonic CD changer bolted upside down to the rear wheel well cover with the GPS maps CD, scratching & rubbing the inner side of the spare 18" alloy, some other GPS unit stuffed under the carpet in the passenger foot well behind the glove box. I have replaced the dash with a standard one. I pulled all the GPS components out (which appeared to be spliced in to the existing electrics. I also replaced the 18" wheels with 16" & the fattest ATs to fit without mods to the suspension.

The whole vehicle is a very slow work in progress even though we use her often. I think by the time I finish getting the way I want her, everyone will be driving electric!!! Although I have further plans for her, many of which are designs in progress.

Anyway, for sometime I have been keen to remove the entire sound system, related components & add new head unit, new amp with new speakers in each door & another amp with custom built sub. Considering the existing system fails to get all the speakers working these days, I have had to replace the front speakers which are now very quiet & replace the perished drivers in the sub which give way too much bass.

If you have any info for pulling out existing amps, head unit & complete replacement, I will be pleased to hear anything you may have to add.

Be great to get info on:

* BECM considerations with disconnection & adding new components.
* Components available to integrate the steering wheel controls with a modern head unit.
* Any info on rerouting cables in doors or possibly using what is already there.
* Customisation of the dash to incorporate new gear.
* Using sound proofing, such as eva closed back foam, for the doors with any other parts of the vehicle (like the head liner which I about to refurbish), material & what thickness (I found this
http://www.foam.co.nz/products#eva).
* Aerials for radio & do I need to do any mods to have a NZ (UK) frequency radio tuning into stations in NZ, as the existing setup is configured to Japanese frequencies.

All the best & I look forward to your replies.

Cheers
mk

·
Super Moderator
2,084 Posts
re: P38 sound system complete removal & replace

The only connections to the BeCM for the audio system are to supply it with power so you won't be doing anything that will affect the BeCM.

There are a number of different aftermarket units available to allow you to integrate the existing steering wheel controls but it depends on what head unit you decide to use.

Depending on whether it had the DSP unit originally or not will dictate how much rewiring you will need to do. If it had the DSP amp in the LH rear loadsapce, cabling from the head unit goes to that and all the cabling to the speakers in the doors comes from the DSP amp. If it didn't have the DSP option, then the cabling to the separate amps in each door comes straight from the head unit. In either case you can still use the existing cables to the doors, it just depends on where you pick up connections to them.

The radio aerials are etched into the rear side windows with RF pre-amps under the side panels. These are wideband so will work on the UK frequencies just the same as they worked on the Japanese frequencies.

Can't help with customising the dash as that will depend on what head unit you decide to fit (single DIN. double DIN, etc) but there is a thread on here about installing an Android unit if you do a search.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,198 Posts
As mentioned - there is very little interaction between the BECM and the audio system, other than power.

Again, depending on the current system that is in there, and how it's amplified (a picture showing the back of the head unit/current wiring/connections would help with identifying that) will determine how easy/difficult it is to swap out.

Newest Nav.jpg

That's a picture of my latest install in my RR - it's 7" android head unit, so it does the radio, navigation, bluetooth, reversing camera etc.
It connects up to the steering wheel controls with no adapter, and you can program them to what you want etc.

I am actually going to be back home in NZ in a few weeks and be around Wellington for a couple of days next month - so if I have time, then I'd be happy to meet up and discuss options etc for your vehicle. I've done a lot of work on the P38 audio systems/upgrading them etc over the years, so happy to help where I can.

Marty

·
Registered
341 Posts
I it a double din unit in my truck with BT, DVD and new speakers and wires all around. Steering wheel controls work with a PAC unit. Search mybtjreads and it will pop up.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Marty. Can you source a center window switch pack cover in Piano Black like the one in your picture in this thread? I have that finish and I can find any here in the us. It’s a LHD. Don’t mean to hijack thread

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,198 Posts
Marty. Can you source a center window switch pack cover in Piano Black like the one in your picture in this thread? I have that finish and I can find any here in the us. It’s a LHD. Don’t mean to hijack thread
Unfortunately, probably not... I'll keep an eye out, but I only managed to get that one as it was part of the whole interior trim package. I think the piano black was only in some of the late Vogue SE's ( and the Linley models which are rare enough as it is!) and I don't know how many of the later Vogue SE's were LHD.

If I do happen to come across one though, I will nab it for you :)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Pretty sure the Vogue SE Batch 4 (the only one, the Java with Piano Black trim- 72 produced) never made it outside the UK or into LH drive.
Best bet for ColoradoCrow would be to source a LH drive wood trim switch console, rub it down and refinish it with black lacquer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Marty & all. Thank you so much for the replies, they really help. Sorry I have not replied sooner.

When exactly are you in Welly Marty? If you have not already been here I will certainly be keen to meet up. I'll make sure to check this thread every day until I have figured out why I am not getting any notifications via email.

Cheers
mk

·
Registered
549 Posts
Adding to Marty's info, I also put a 7" Android into my P38. There's now quite a few good single din android units, which avoid the dash space issues in the P38.

In my case the 7" screen is in the dash, and the head unit is under the left front seat, on top of the transmission ECU !! Joying Auto supplied a 100cm screen ribbon cable which is just long enough. I also added a fan to the head unit, because the chinese androids do get a bit warm, which slows down the apps & causes audio glitching. With the fan everything works.

Instead of the speaker outputs, I used the head unit RCA-Line outputs to feed the existing door & sub amplifiers, but replaced all the 6.5" bass drivers. My mids & tweeters need doing as well, but not go around to it yet.
I had to use balancing transformers to convert the head unit line output to balanced feed for the HK amplifiers, but this makes the system free from buzz & hum, and uses the existing door wiring.

IMG_2431.JPG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts