RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. I have done a search here but haven't come up with the right answer - I hope you all can help. I have a p38 on 255/55 R18. The wheel bolt sizes appear to be 25mm (tell me if I'm wrong - but this was measured with a vernier gauge so is pretty accurate - but not having a 25mm socket at home I haven't tried it out - and the wrench that comes with the spare wheel doesn't have any marking on it).

When I had a RR Sport I bought a set of Spikes Spyder chains - but these won't adapt to the p38 in part due to the 25mm bolt size.

As has been previously stated, the handbook is as much use as a chocolate fire-guard when it comes to chains.

My questions are:

1. will standard chains screw up the braking hoses etc... behind the front wheels as the scary handbook maintains?
2. if I do fit ladder track chains, does anyone recommend a good set that fits on this wheel?

Please don't tell me just to run on winter tyres (I have those fitted too) as I have to have a set of chains to drive in the Alps by law and there are occasions when you need all the help you can get.

Cheers and thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
161 Posts
Sorry I can't help but I'm very interested in the answer for the same reasons, but am scared because of those ABS sensors and EAS height sensors. 245/70/16

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
I've run the full spectrum of "chains" from standard cable to ARB/Thule. Proper sizing and fitment are key for any chain. The only time you are going to run into interference issues is if slack develops.

As far as the legal points of "chains required" you'll find that the letter of the law and on pass enforcement vary greatly by region. In most areas of the Western US "chains required" simply equates to have them in the trunk. Most law enforcement persons see an all wheel drive with proper snow tyres and just flag them through.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
343 Posts
Swissdoc if you are talking lugnuts, they are 27mm.
About chains you are right, in Austria and Switzerland mandatory this time of the year, two will do (to show the officer).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts