RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you folks might like to see what we've been up to here in Oz... finally a snorkel/Raised Air Intake for the P38. First production model was fitted to my car over the weekend.

Not ecstatic about the Safari head (will perhaps have our own head inline with the roof instead) and the guard mounts will be more reinforced in the next mould.

Visibility is very good (maybe 30mm loss though front window) and no noticeable wind noise tested up to 100Km/h..

Another couple of pics taken showing snorkel/RAI with HRA 3-hoop Roo Bar, HID lights and LED work lamps.

Not available for ordering through hardrange.com yet, as it is still being tested on my car. Pretty **** happy so far `)

Cheers, Paul.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the P38 Snorkel equiped team ;)

Congrats. Looks good.

What's the material?

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
another pic showing the setup with lamp guards attached:

...and with the front diff guard. Winch and bash plate coming soon

Current material is reinforced fibreglass. If we get sufficient volume of orders to reduce production costs, will look to move to injected plastics.

Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Nice work. It does look like the side molding has to travel quite a distance to get to the a-pillar but that is due placement of the airbox. Nice rig. Shipping to the states will probably be prohibitively expensive....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Great job :)

More pictures please :clap:

Regards,

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
spikemd said:
Shipping to the states will probably be prohibitively expensive....
not when I start bringing the in by the crate :thumb:

Looks great, just a bit of polish and it's perfect!

·
Registered
71 Posts
i'm still at the top of the list for one AREN"T I Paul :p :D

that is very neat , your right about the Safari top and i still would have prefered aesthetically a squared off leading end to match the profile of the guard front , BUT , a very good job fellas. :thumb: :clap:

.................tasi

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Personally I have never liked the 'Safari style' snorkel, whether on a Defender, Disco, or
whatever. It is a good effort though, and brilliant that someone is making one at last
especially for teh P38. :clap:
The best one I have 'seen' on the internet though is this one:

No other details from me though, sorry. Also doesn't look straight forward fitting as the
bonnet needs to be modified.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
hey Paul,

thats allot of work getting something like that to market, your really charging this thing head on, looks good!

I need to get some bits from you too!

G

·
0 Posts
q-rover said:
Personally I have never liked the 'Safari style' snorkel, whether on a Defender, Disco, or
whatever. It is a good effort though, and brilliant that someone is making one at last
especially for teh P38. :clap:
The best one I have 'seen' on the internet though is this one:

No other details from me though, sorry. Also doesn't look straight forward fitting as the
bonnet needs to be modified.
I tracked down the guy who made that snorkel awhile back and it cost about $2500US to fabricate. :shock:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts

+1, i really like this MANTEC metal design but it was fitted on a coil converted car.

It's very difficult to work with the stock place of the air box and EAS box.

I may upgrade mine to this if i find some time to move the air box from front to back and the EAS box

Mine is looking this way right now

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
5 Posts
Paul

Fantastic looking design.... Here's hoping you manage to get them to blown plas... And somebody to sell them in the UK...

Just wondering if anyone has tried to get a D3 snorkle to fit.... or if its way, off as I was going to try and hunt down a D3 today and take some comparative measurements...

Dave

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
hrhDave said:
Paul

Fantastic looking design.... Here's hoping you manage to get them to blown plas... And somebody to sell them in the UK...

Just wondering if anyone has tried to get a D3 snorkle to fit.... or if its way, off as I was going to try and hunt down a D3 today and take some comparative measurements...

Dave
Dave,

D3 snorkel is on the RHD side. P38 airbox is on LHD side

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
5 Posts
I know its on the wrong side, was thinking either flexi hose or go for something special... like silicone...

And of course for the first time when I was in town I couldnt find a D3 to park up next too...

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
We've had a look at how we're going to fit the snorkel yesterday. As I feared, it won't be easy. I've already taken out the cruise-control, will try to give the EVAP another place (possibly under the car, as in the Bosch ones) and move the EAS box forward a bit (cable loom should be long enough and with the EARTH the airlines can be easliy extended as well). This should give me just enough room to mount an airbox from an RRC (already fitted) close to the bulkhead, thus minimizing the necessary pipework (and freeing some space behind the LH headlight for hydraulic goodies as well).
From there, I'm thinking of using a short flexible to connect to an RVS pipe at the A-pillar. Similar to the second photo in Flo's post.
Cutting a piece from the bonnet doesn't bother me, but the hinge does take up a lot of room. It seems the example's shown route the flexible further down inside the wing, possibly up to the OEM intake hole in the inner wing?
Any ideas/welcome are welcome, our current take on the problem is to cut off the hingebracket and weld it to the bonnet in a more compact way, and hope the hood will stay open with just one strut. 8-|=

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
92 Posts
Any update on timeline for an off-the-shelf P38 snorkel solution?

·
Registered
61 Posts
thats a good snorkle he has made. Would be good to know if he feels that the engine has benefited from the snorkle. Cool clean air must help even if in a small way. In Australia cars run much better in the cool of the day so an engine offered
cool air must result in minor improvements. Thanks all for your responses it's so good to have access to a pool of knowledge.

·
Registered
32 Posts
`) My new snorkel (not finish) !! Don't smile about my tires, it's my snow tire for the winter in regular size :lol:

regards of france !!

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice job with the snorkel Dav.
Regarding your tyres, I find that when I put the smaller tyres on my P38 that it revs too high at highway speeds, but mine is set up with 4.1 diffs that match the 33" mud tyres I usually run.

Below are a couple of photos of the Hard Range Raised Air Intake/Snorkel fitted to a mates car.

He had it colour-coded to match his car and it is sporting our custom head. The head can be swapped for a Safari or Mantec if you want, but you do it if/when you want.

...and mine (fitted and tested for 6-7 months with no problems) during a weekend trip with the Australian Land Rover Owners (AULRO.com) forum

This is style of RAI/Snorkel we are now putting in to production. Honestly, we looked hard at running it inside the guard but you cannot get the required "equivalent diameter/volume" air flow, and moving the Engine ECU (on 99+), Cruise Control and EAS units out of the way is too much of a PITA for production systems targeted at the home mechanic/ P38 enthusiast.

Initial target market is Australia for more early adopter testing among our mates here. US and European distribution is under discussion. Individual unit shipments to the US have been estimated to cost around $800 USD (product and shipping), but there may be economies of scale in pricing and shipping if you get a few buyers together to get the shipping costs down.

Cheers, Paul.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts