RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've got a quick question about my satnav. Is there a way to get the date and time to be displayed? I've seen a few P38's with it displayed across the bottom of the screen amd I can't figure out how to enable it.
Thanks in advance! Mills

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,225 Posts
If it's not under the normal 'settings' area - then there is a GPS service menu, which may have the option in it. I'm trying to remember how to get into the service menu though.

I *think* it was something like go into the normal settings area (think it's labelled 'SET' )and then press and hold the menu button for 8 seconds until it goes into the GPS service menu.

If it's not in there, then it may be a difference in firmware version.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's not under the normal 'settings' area - then there is a GPS service menu, which may have the option in it. I'm trying to remember how to get into the service menu though.

I *think* it was something like go into the normal settings area (think it's labelled 'SET' )and then press and hold the menu button for 8 seconds until it goes into the GPS service menu.

If it's not in there, then it may be a difference in firmware version.
I can get into the service menu just fine and I can see the date and time under the GPS section however idk how to get it to display all the time.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
There are three different GPS systems/versions fitted to P38s before you bring firmware and DVD upgrades into the picture. WHat year is your rig and what version of GPS do you have?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are three different GPS systems/versions fitted to P38s before you bring firmware and DVD upgrades into the picture. WHat year is your rig and what version of GPS do you have?
She is a 2002, I just went and looked at the GPS version and it said "receiver sw vers 8.6" then under the navi/graphic element screen it said "sw level 20 and hw level 11" hope this sheds some light for you. I would post up photos of the screens but i always get upload errors.
Thank you! Mills

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
I knew you had the later model Mills - I can't remember what my 2001 had on the screen - before I pulled it and went aftermarket (the Nav computer had internal errors where it wouldn't save any info)

As RRTH says - there were different models of Nav used - the first system was a JAMES system, and the later one (like you have installed) is based on the Philips Carin 520 IIRC - which was also used in a load of BMW vehicles. I'm not sure what the 3rd version was though.

There is loads of info on the BMW variant on a couple of the BMW forums.

From looking closely at the picture you put up on the FB page - it looks like the older navigation system.

I've been trying to find a better image of the older navigation system but can't seem to find one quickly.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew you had the later model Mills - I can't remember what my 2001 had on the screen - before I pulled it and went aftermarket (the Nav computer had internal errors where it wouldn't save any info)

As RRTH says - there were different models of Nav used - the first system was a JAMES system, and the later one (like you have installed) is based on the Philips Carin 520 IIRC - which was also used in a load of BMW vehicles. I'm not sure what the 3rd version was though.

There is loads of info on the BMW variant on a couple of the BMW forums.

From looking closely at the picture you put up on the FB page - it looks like the older navigation system.

I've been trying to find a better image of the older navigation system but can't seem to find one quickly.
The picture posted on Facebook was in fact an older model, I took a screenshot of a YouTube video covering the P38 Autobiography which I believe was a '97 model.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Found a bit more info on the sat nav versions - the first version, in 1997/1998 was a Carin 521 derived system, the later is apparently a Carin 320 Derived system.

I am guessing that the operating system/firmware between the earlier/later models has been changed and the time/date at the bottom of the screen was removed in the later version

This is where I found the info regarding the different versions...

http://www.hxs.de/CARiN.htm

Marty

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found a bit more info on the sat nav versions - the first version, in 1997/1998 was a Carin 521 derived system, the later is apparently a Carin 320 Derived system.

I am guessing that the operating system/firmware between the earlier/later models has been changed and the time/date at the bottom of the screen was removed in the later version

This is where I found the info regarding the different versions...

http://www.hxs.de/CARiN.htm

Marty
Thank you Marty! I'll look into that. I hope I can get it to display on the screen, I can clearly see the space where it is supposed to be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts