RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.... My 2001 RR has a fully working factory fitted sat Nav unit, but I want to take it out and mount an android tablet in that space, to use Google maps & Spotify (I've already added an aux input to the stereo)

Since I don't want to take the console apart until I have to....does anyone know the dimensions of the slot the display unit fits into? Is it a double din (but shallower, I believe part of the heating vents are behind it)?

What I'm planning on doing is getting a cage (like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KV9DOV6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_yhl-AbJXDT718 ) and fabricating a front for it that I can securely mount the tablet in....

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
It's not even close to double din. There is minimal space around the part of the display that you see. Tablets have been mounted but it takes additional trimming below the factory cut out. There's about 3" depth wise behind the facia. Another option is to ditch the clock and install a larger tablet.

There are a few existing threads on tablet and double DIN installs and tablet installs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that your LPG selector in the spare dash switch? Very nice install.

What I might do then is pick up another piece of trim to keep for resale and hack my trim apart. What tablet is that Chris? I'm struggling to find one that will fit into the space. 7" ones are slightly too big with the bezels.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
758 Posts
It’s not a tablet believe it or not, but is shallow enough to fit, gives you everything and more,
ebay item number 302351974083, slightly bigger than some, better screen resolution

·
Registered
519 Posts
Chris,
Does that android unit have subwoofer output as well as the usual 4 ?

Have you tried Waze instead of the chinese IGO ??

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
New Nav Installed.jpg

A slightly different double DIN unit. Not much fettling required to the actual fascia, but I had a bit of 'modification' to do to the actual unit as it was a full height/depth double DIN android navigation device. Works well though, but for ease of install, next time I'd go with the slimline version like Chris did.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Really digging that install Chris. I've limited experience with Android stuff - does anyone know if it plays well with Apple (iphone/ipod?). How's the general quality/features of that particular unit? I've already bookmarked one on ebay for when i decide I'm tired of the stock nav on my '02. Do you have it tied in with any other systems on your vehicle? Or are you just using it as standalone for now?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Chris,

Looks great. Where was the trimming needed? It doesn't appear the surround was cut at all. Are you connected through the factory radio as an AUX or is it stand alone? Does your car have the DSP amp? If so are you running through it or around it? Did you mount a GPS antenna? Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts