RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The factory roof racks are fairly useless--you can't put a full platform rack on them without a bunch of shims and some drilling. SD are out there, but $1500 or so seems to be the going price. Voyager to. But Rhino, Front Runner, etc....none of them have shown any love for the P38 so I decided to build a set of roof rails that would work with multiples systems myself.

Working with a guy out of CA who already had his own design for a roof rack, I took some of his design ideas and we built a set of roof rails that will accommodate almost any roof rack out there---I had this built for a Front Runner rack (bought a LR3/LR4 rack, and needed to cut it down about 8" in length). In retrospect I wish I had bought a wider rack than the LR3....good thing about Front Runner is they make them in about 200 different sizes, and cutting them down to fit (length wise) if needed is a 20-30 minute job.

Rails are powder coated, and can be modified to delete the P38 logo on the rear, or made up to 2.5" lower if you want a real low-profile rack (I have Front Runner's table & love their storage solution for under the rack hence mine are 1" taller than standard.

Improvements coming in next design: black stainless steel hardware (had to source from Europe). Matte black option to match roof rack. Fairing mount is standard--goes onto the front two holes (and will also hold a light bar). I haven't designed a fairing yet, but lots of DIY options out there.....its not like my P38 is quiet.

I'm probably going to start marketing/listing these via ebay, but if I can figure out how to become a vendor here happy to share the love with forum members. For those of you with access to CNC/laser tools, will also be selling plans alone.

Thoughts/suggestions for further refinement? I will say these are rock solid, and are currently only mounted with 4 of the 10 mounting points (as once the black SS hardware shows up I'm going to finalize mount). No problem putting up 2 SUPs + walking on the rack. I would have zero worries with RTT. Best part of these rails is that it doesn't tie you to one rack--if you want to switch to Thule bars that is a very simple exchange. Yakima round would need an adapter, but all the aero bars out there with a channel style attachment point would work.

Interested in forum's thoughts on these:
2019-07-06 15.02.57.jpg
2019-07-06 15.03.25.jpg
2019-07-06 15.03.29.jpg 2019-07-06 15.03.56.jpg

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I like it! I'd be interested...depending on the price.....
These are going to be in the $270 range + shipping. This includes SS black hardware (ridiculous that I have to buy the carriage bolts & washers out of Europe, and the nuts from the US), powder coating in your choice of shades (pics are semi-gloss, production are going to be matte-black to match Rhino/Front Runner....but if you want it powder coated to match your Borrego that is doable at same price), and minor customization as needed (removal of P38 logo, minus up to 2" on rack/foot height if you want really low profile (honestly anything above 1.5"....unless your rack is literally bend proof you'll want the roof/rack separation), and tab design (FrontRunner has lateral cutout for the bolts to allow side-to-side movement of the rack. I'd need rack measurements (slats CTC) on a Rhino to be able to do the same. About $35 domestic....Hawaii/Alaska runs it up to $100 as they are heavy.

This isn't a for-profit endeavor. Well there is profit there. Enough to buy a couple of rounds on a weekday happy hour night. I didn't design/build these to make $$.....just to fill a gap in the P38 utilization.

If you just want the plans b/c you have a CNC who can do them for you, they'll be $50. Happy to give a breakdown on our production costs (actually I will: 11 gauge steel plate $35; plasma cutting/bending/cleaning $140; powder coating $45; SS/anodized black SS carriage bolts/washers/nuts $12; profit $38ish.....and on ebay they'll be $275 b/c of the 10% ebay/paypal tax).

If this was a business I'd be charging FrontRunner prices; $450 for LR3/LR4 rails (granted those take a bigger piece of steel, but their hardware isn't SS and their powder coating is awful).

I'm communicating with the RR.net advertising execs....not having an LLC/insurance/business......for-fun endeavors don't seem to work well within whatever corporate structure owns RR.net.

If I could do a run of 10+ prices would drop by about 10%. If I were to sell 10 of these total in the next year I'd be somewhat surprised....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts