RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been workign with Matt at hi-country, he is interested in making bumpers for p38's similar to this:

http://www.hicountryoffroad.com/Products/Discovery/Bumpers/disco_bumper.htm

he'll do the front first, IF I can get 10 deposits. Retail target is $800, He's having a store wide sale right now, so final cost will be $650 IF deposit is received by 7/7.

If there is enough interest we can get the run of 10 started by the 7th and maybe finished by the rally for local pickup to save shipping.

Post up any questions/suggestions here, and email me if you're ready to put down a deposit. I won't take any money untill I have 9 definates (plus mine makes 10).

I've got no problem shipping international, they can go on a slow boat for maybe not too much (maybe, I havn't researched it yet)

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Strange isn't it Dennis. Everyone says 'So where are all the aftermarket off road kits for the P38?' but no one ever buys the things when offered them. :?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
must be why i have 2 sets of rocker guards ready to weld up....but no one buying.
everyone saying "we need rocker protection" and then when i built mine "good idea etc etc etc"
oh well, money talks, bs walks i guess huh?

martin

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
281 Posts
Hi Dennis,

sorry but I already put a HRA front bar on Frostie. I am still deciding on the rear bar (with spare wheel carrier) I like the tail gate access as it is.

Rich, you do have to admit that there isnt the plethora of accessories and aftermarket items that are available for Patrols and Cruisers. I do take your point though, Dennis didnt get a lot of responses for front bars. I wouldnt choose one of those other 4x4s over my rangie just because bits are hard to find for it. There are bits out there if you go look for them. Frostie is nearly to the point where I want it now. Last week I installed a 3 bar Rhino Rack and it looks sweet.

Cheers Mick

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Rat_RR02 said:
Rich, you do have to admit that there isnt the plethora of accessories and aftermarket items that are available for Patrols and Cruisers. I do take your point though, Dennis didnt get a lot of responses for front bars. I wouldnt choose one of those other 4x4s over my rangie just because bits are hard to find for it. There are bits out there if you go look for them. Frostie is nearly to the point where I want it now. Last week I installed a 3 bar Rhino Rack and it looks sweet.

Cheers Mick
I agree on the accessories front. I think Dennis tried to get a P38 rack manufactured as well but demand dropped all of a sudden when a price was mentioned.

I'm just looking for side steps for a 2009MY Puma Defender 90. The customer has been told £400 for a pair of Genuine ones... There is demand out there for high quality items like this but it only gets economical enough for a customer to buy it if the production run is great enough. Until then we have to suffer with the rubbish that Allmakes/Bearmach etc sell on.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I full set of RockRover armor (like mine) costs almost as much as a used RR. That scares alot of people away, me thinks. I got lucky on my set.

And I completely disagree with the "much stronger" comment from the 2nd post. They look about the same. It all depends on the steel used and how its actually mounted.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I'm looking for a rear bumper with wheel carrier, and have even tried to
order them from Rockrover and Intelligence4x4, but as soon as I mention
export, things went very quiet from the other end.
I must admit I don't like the look of the rear bumper, and would never
get the vehicle through the bi-annual MOT, with one of the front bumpers
fitted, because of theis new EU regulation regarding frontal protection.

So that is where I stand. :oops:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IF we can get enough interest in the front bumpers, a rear will be next, with tire-carrier/jerrycan/hi-lift options.

For those that are interested but not willing, is there anyting I can do? ie. rough mockup photos, lower price, extended time-frame, design changes/ideas/questions?

So far I have no takers besides me. I'll give it till the end of July before I kill the project.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Dennis, p38 offroad accessories do not work. I tried a limited production(10) of steering guards and sold 0,5/month. I believe that limited and exclusive designs are the way to go. I'm working into reinforcing the OEM bumper in order to mount a spare tire carrier. Also working on a 10sets of fuel tank guards. Release before end of the year. Because of EU regulations, i'll cut a spare OEM bumper and mount a winch or add a NAS hitch receiver at the front for a mobile winch. About your project, price is allright, design is a bit extreme for a modern rangie: i mean let's add some class...a rangie isn't a disco.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the overall design is still up in the air, and I agree about "classier", it was part of my plans.

I think they may have to be one-off....

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
155 Posts
Not a fan of both designs personally, but that's the point it's personal taste.

Here's the bumper I had made for my RR back in 2001...

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's the one I have photos of! I had some of those pics, couldn't remember for the life of me where there came from. I like that with a few changes..

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's a nice looking bumper!

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Hey Dennis,
I might be up for a bumper. I just bought a winch and was already making drawings and plans to break out the welder either building from scratch or buying an ARB for a LandCruiser and chopping/welding. Shipping is an issue for me tho - another $350 for shipping on an $800 bumper and it becomes marginal for me to purchase the bumper from the States (I just recently had a friend ship an antique meat slicer (75lbs.) from your neck of the woods to Germany for that price). $150 on a $650 bumper would have me seriously interested. I do have a couple of questions regarding the design as well:
- are provisions going to be made for proper crushcan/airbag operation? (more complex mounting akin to the OEM winch tray)
- what finishes are avail? Powdercoat?
- what time frame are we looking at?

What I like designwise is something along the lines of the ARB w/o the plastic light recesses and bull bar

I'm going to drop my dime on a bumper within the next month or 2, so if we could work out the details I'd be a definite 'yes'. Have you posted on any of the other boards - gotten any other positive responses?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts