Range Rovers Forum banner

P38 odd starting proplem

942 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  romanrob 
#1 ·
I have 2xp38s a 4.0 and a 4.6 both now have an odd starting fault they will fire up straight away but die if the throttle is not pumped rapidly to keep revs over 1500 but will not rev over 3000 and spits back frequently for a minit or so when it suddenly clears and runs perfectly all day or until cold again ecu shows no fault codes and when warm runs perfectly
Tried cahnging thermo switch cold start maff throttle pot no difference any ideas ?

#2 ·
Sounds like no it a rich enough starting mixture when cold.

Does your truck have the strange shaped air boxes on the inlet pipe, between the MAF and the plenum? They are there to act as an inlet air noise silencer. What I found on mine was that, as the bottom of these are very close to the exhaust manifold, the bottoms had holes melted in them, allowing unmetered (and unfiltered) air to enter the engine. If something like this has happened to you, then you would be getting more (possibly a lot more) air into the engine that the MAF “sees”. When cold, this may create a weak mixture, giving exactly the issues you report.

Oh, in terms of a fix, I siliconed the holes up, no more problems.

#7 ·
There's already another thread running for this, "Flooding up when cold" shall we keep it in one place maybe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.