Range Rovers Forum banner

P38 not picking up speed

6K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  dave3d 
#1 ·
Something strange has happened to my vehicle. No longer picks up speed even if i put the accelerator right down. I no longer hear gears changing and it hardly goes beyond 80km per hour now making it very difficult for me to make judgements when overtaking. Its automatic. Any idea what could be the cause of this. One mechanic has advised me to buy a new airflow sensor and replace the one which is there but I dont trust the mechanic. Take off is very very slow. Idling is quite normal. Produces normal smoke and raves while parked appear normal. Anyone with an idea please.

Sam

#2 ·
Something strange has happened to my vehicle. No longer picks up speed even if i put the accelerator right down. I no longer hear gears changing and it hardly goes beyond 80km per hour now making it very difficult for me to make judgements when overtaking. Its automatic. Any idea what could be the cause of this. One mechanic has advised me to buy a new airflow sensor and replace the one which is there but I dont trust the mechanic. Take off is very very slow. Idling is quite normal. Produces normal smoke and raves while parked appear normal. Anyone with an idea please.
Sam
At a guess, it's a diesel?! If you include vehicle details in your sig it helps people to help.
I'd check for restricted intake hoses and obvious disconnected pipes, but I know little about oil burners. Hopefully someone who does will pass by...

#4 ·
Having had to replace 2 MAF's the symptoms aren't the same, usually has big idle problems and stalls when coming to a stop. After getting over 1500 rpm the car would always drive okay. I would tend to agree with the above comments as I have had a hose crimp and what you are saying was exactly what happened to mine, albeit that mine is petrol/lpg

#8 ·
Also check the airfilter, if it's clogged it will reduce performance on both diesel and V8.
If you want more specific help, we'll need more details: diesel or petrol, does the engine rev up in lower gears, does the autobox shift up OK?

#10 ·
Samatad: It may have gone into "limp mode" where it stays stuck in 3rd gear and engine output is reduced. Diagnostics would tell you.

Mutoko: I think you are replying to the wrong post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.