RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 p38 with a 4.6 Gems. About a year ago it quit running and I had other projects that took priority so I just got to working on it last night. Pulled a motor out and found that a flywheel was shattered. Before I pulled the motor and even had a chance to take a look at it I bought another parts P38 with a good 4.6 Bosch. Thought about doing gems to bosch conversion because I thought my motor was toast but now since its just a flywheel I'll give it a shot with a flywheel replacement. My problem is that I can't find a flywheel anywhere.

Does anyone know if Bosch and Gems have same flywheels?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Flywheel or flex plate. I have never heard of a flywheel failing. Flexplates crack then usually break into four or five pieces. Or has your crank sensor reluctor ring broken off of the flywheel?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I am new to the forum and was expecting an email notification that there was a response posted. Pulled the motor out a few days ago and found out that the flex plate is shattered and it damaged the crank position sensor as well.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
You only get a notification of a response if you choose that option in your profile. Kinda like adding your Rover's info to your signature as noted in the forum guidelines

So a flexplate and sensor is an easy fix... cheap compared with your sales post that the transfer case and tranny are toast. So again, what is really wrong with this rig that you are parting it out. Surely the tranny and transfer did not fail when the flex plate broke. That is physically impossible just as flywheels do not fail. Flex plates are appx $45. Sensor is under $90. so for Under $140 you are parting it out?

Common guy... unless there is info you have left out this is an easy repair to save the old girl. Don;t kick her out of the garage just because of a known issue with flex plates and a cheap repair. If you part her out you will have a hulk left in your drive to be hauled off pretty much for free... All for under $140 in parts.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Okay Art... You do NOT have a failed flywheel. That has been established in this thread. You have a failed flex plate... huge difference. I have deleted both sales threads, first one for wanting a flywheel and the other for parting out this rig. if you are posting for parts, you obviously are not going to trash the old girl.

What do you need to save this rig instead of making a huge mistake by parting her out?

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/FTC4607G flex plate genunine. $65.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/FTC4607 flex plate template cut $43
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR6119 97 Crank sensor no pigtail $88.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ADU7342L 97 Crank sensor with pigtail $50

Not rocket science

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We had a little confusion going on here, let me clear it out. First of all sorry for the flywheel/flexplate confusion. I am absolutely not going to part out my RR, I have 2. I am very mechanically inclined, always do all maintenance on my cars myself and I bought all of my cars with either blown engines or failed transmissions etc. I own an allroad, a v8 X5, a v8 xc90, a 7.3 ford and a smart car(don't know why). I've done it all from simple engine/trans swaps to fitting motors places they don't belong. I've never owned a Range Rover but have always been a sucker for a p38 body style so eventually i got one. At that point it was my first Range Rover and I didn't know anything about rovers. When the flexplate failed I parked it my shed and started looking for a parts rig just because it sounded so horrible when it failed that I thought it had some internal damage. I finally found a parts rig at a decent price (1999 p38 with a 4.6 Bosch that i posted as a part out) and I picked it up. When I finally cleared out my garage and decided to dedicate a weekend to fixing my RR I pulled them both in and ONLY THEN I realized that they made 2 different versions of a 4.6! Mine is Gems and the one that I picked up as a parts rig is Bosch. At that point having a complete Bosch donor I was set on doing a gems to bosch swap. That night I pulled my motor out and found out that all I needed is a flexplate and there is nothing wrong with my motor. The parts rig is a complete running P38 with a front driveshaft that fell off damaging a tcase and a trans and it also has a failed air suspension.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts