RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m a newbie here. I just bought myself a project as it seems. It is a 2002 P38. It is running a bit rough with multiple misfires. I took it to my mechanic last week and found out cylinder 5 has no compression. The mechanic dug a little deeper, he removed the head and found that cylinder 5 is damaged. Long story short, I bought myself a car with a damaged block in one of the cylinder. So here I am this morning doing my research and trying to locate a used engine.

According to Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market, there are the 3 different options for the US Market 4.6L engine (first one is WITHOUT secondary air injection, second is WITH secondary air injection, and last one is called LOW EMISSION). I understand the WITH and WITHOUT secondary air injection but I don't quite understand the LOW EMISSION engine. Can someone shade some lights on this “low emission” engine?? My vehicle is equipped with the secondary air injection, I know the one WITHOUT will not work on my vehicle but what about the “low emission”??

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
low emission applied to 2003, 2004 discovery 2 which came with secondary air and a 4.6 engine. basically as far as I know the low emissions difference was a better performing catalytic converter.
maybe some else could concur or deny...

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
222 Posts
What difference in costs to rebuild your engine versus buying someone else's potential failure, wash rinse repeat etc.....

·
Registered
771 Posts
I’m with Johnno, you have no idea what your buying, in theory you only need a short engine. You’d be better off tophat lining your block, not cheap, but if your looking at keeping it, it’s a decision which will give you peace of mind, other option is try to find a low mileage one and do a swap, but get documentation to confirm mileage..
when you say no compression, are you talking zero or low ?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Will the Disco 2 4.6 work with earlier P38 RR ?
yes it will, you will need to transfer all the ancillaries from your p38 to the d2 motor, its a straight fit just different style p/s pump, higher amp alternator, different style cooling fan, different style engine mounts and exhaust manifolds.
but all same gaskets and function.
worse came to worse, you could take a 4.6 short block and install your cylinder heads on it. this regardless of the short block having been secondary air or not. secondary air in on the heads, not the block.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Why it’s a short block, it’s worth spending a few dollars with new rings, gaskets, seals, water pump ect, your not looking at major cash, it gives you peace of mind, plus no oil leaks..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts