RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day

What to do ???

My Range Rover 1996 HSE is losing water, and can not find the leak. We did a test on the water reservoir and find that there is a slow drop in pressure lost in the cooling system, but can not see any leaks.

During the day the water is at normal level, but the next morning I look at the reservoir, there is no water in it.

I have not seen the Temp gauge rising, stay at the 1st white bar.

Would you recommend to use a sealant or not. Do to some research, I see a lot are against it..

·
Registered
453 Posts
Re: P38 Loosing Water

could be many things>heater o rings, cracked liner, radiator, hoses
Check the o rings on the heater first

Sealent - no

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The foot wells are not wet, so I can not feel any water there, or that the carpet is wet.

I did the one time smell the antifreeze on the outside of the car. but for the love of me, do not see any water coming from any hoses.

Another thing I saw is that there was once Bubbles in the Reservoir, indicating air in the system... But where would that come from.

·
Registered
541 Posts

What color is your oil? Getting any milky foam in it? How about any white smoke out of the tailpipe? Put your hand over it (while it is cool and wear a glove) for a few seconds and then see if you smell antifreeze on the glove.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Antifreeze is green in color.

I was told by friend driving behind me that when accelerating there is light color smoke from the tailpipe. But not a lot of smoke.

Oils is still the dark brown color. There is no indication of any water with it.

I will try the hand glove one. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I had experienced the same issue and found it to be a leaking head gasket. The leak allowed coolant to pass to the exterior and evaporate when it migrated onto the to the hot engine surface. There was not any evidence that coolant contaminated the oil on the dipstick, but I could smell the smell of coolant.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Sometimes the o-rings can be leaking and not be obvious from the floor well until you look under the carpet. A surprising amount of coolant can gather under there without there being an obvious sign from just looking or feeling around the footwell.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts
The easisest way to check for leaking O-rings is place a folded paper napkin or similar under the RH floor vent (just slide it up over the transmission hump). You'll soon see if there is any water dripping onto it.

Ask me how I know.

Also check for leaks under the throttle body.

From the sound of it, you are losing quite a bit of coolant.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Sounds like a porous block. Don't worry though, that's perfectly normal for these engines. ;)

Depending on your personal preference for maintenance, you can either just continue monitoring the situation and keep the coolant topped up before (and during) each trip. You could either K-seal or Seal-up the engine (not my personal preference though as it can seal areas not ment to be sealed such as the reservoir return hole), or just try to save up GBP4k before it lets go and get a top hat linered unit fitted. All in all, 1 and 3 are the best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts