RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most seasoned RR owners will already have this information, but for newbies like me, the following appears to be 'just the way it is'!! Like a lot of folks I bought my Rangie with only one working key/keyfob and no EKA [didnt even know it had one of those!].

Whilst what follows may not be a definative work on the subject of the P38 key fob, it should provide us newbies with the information to decide on how to best tackle the problem of a duff or missing key, heres the deal.

Fleabay regularly has used P38 fobs for sale :hand: . However all the advice that is in various Forums suggests that a used fob cannot be subsequntly reprogrammed to work on a different vehicle. Getting a new blade fitted and having that cut to suit is of course easy peasy, but although it will get you into the cab it wont get the engine running no matter what method of key syncronising is used.

I spoke to a locksmith I have used to sort out diffcult problems in the past, and he tells me that as far as he is aware [and he would know!] the range rover key fob cannot be reprogrammed, either by the dealer, or anyone else. So, dont be fooled by the 'needs to be reprogrammed' sh*t on the ebay description, what you are buying is a key that can only be used to input the EAS code - no bad thing, but equaly, no need to spend £60 when for a tenner or so a non chipped key blank can be cut for you by the local locksmith??? :idea:

This means that the only route is a NEW key fob either from the dealer or an auto locksmith - coincedentaly neither my man nor the local LR dealer had any P38 ones in stock, both were back ordered.

Of course it isnt that simple is it!! The replacement NEW key fob is programmed by LR to work on your particular vehicle, but, you need to know if your exsisting key is key, 1,2,3 or 4. This is because the cars computer will not syncronise 2x the same key ie two 'Key 1's ' for example. Whether this is a problem if you have no keys at all I didnt ask, but suspect the same still applies, in my case I have a working key so really need to know if it is a 1,2,3 or4 so I dont inadvertantly order the same key number at £144.68 inc Vat from the dealer [ non OE alternative/replacements might be cheaper, but I have a Range Rover and want a Range Rover key !!!}.

The key number is on the little decal on the rear face of the key fob - if you have no decal, like me, there is no way of decoding the key to determine its number. So to be safe you need to order a key 3 or key 4, on the assumption that when new the truck will have been supplied with an active Key1 and Key2 with an inactive Key3 and possibly Key4, and previous owners hopefully have not previously ordered an active key3/or4 to replace lost keys !?!?!?!

The Dealer can get the EKA code there and then for your vehicle on presentation of the vehicle VIN and naturaly, proof of ownership! - the V5 in our case in UK. This code when entered gives access to the cab `) and allows the engine to be started without an active key fob or working 'chip' just a correctly cut key blade `) . The computer gives you three attempts before it locks out the system for 30 mins - just what you need at night in the cold and rain /:( . The engine management system stays inactive for 5 mins after the engine is subequently switched off and in that time the engine can be restarted using the inactive Key blade. After the system has reset itself you need to do the EKA thing again - not handy if you switched the motor off to save fuel [and be environmentlay aware!!] whilst on the highway in a traffic jam :oops: !

The Dealer highly recommended I tried the EKA procedure and familiarised myself with it [whlst I had a working key fob which will override any computer lockouts] before I had to do it for real on a cold dark and rainy night. A tip he gave was to peer into the cab at the dashboard as when inputting the EKA code one of the green indicator lamps lights up as the code is entered - looking at this might prevent inadvertant 'missing' a particualr sequence and causing a lock out.

I have not checked myself out on this process yet but will heed the dealers advice.

Succumbing to the inevitable I have ordered a new key from LR at £144.68, I will decide later what to do with the fleabay fob, perhaps i'll try and transplant my exsisting 'good' fobs internals into the fleabay carcass - which is in really good shape much better than my original, or just keep it as an EKA device.

Hope this helps someone not to waste [more] money!

Gordon

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
660 Posts
1. key fob numbers - I bought mine with key #4 & #1 was the least expensive to order after I b*****ed number 4 when replacing the button membrane
2. tried to use an aftermarket reprogramming service akin to that suggested in the link and............ I'd suggest as a newbie of 14 months just go for a LR dealer but check costs as they may be different
3. there is if I recall the option to disable the security for the ECU & whilst this may work it is an issue to be advised to the ins co.....

·
Registered
931 Posts
Of course it isnt that simple is it!! The replacement NEW key fob is programmed by LR to work on your particular vehicle, but, you need to know if your exsisting key is key, 1,2,3 or 4. This is because the cars computer will not syncronise 2x the same key ie two 'Key 1's ' for example. Whether this is a problem if you have no keys at all I didnt ask, but suspect the same still applies, in my case I have a working key so really need to know if it is a 1,2,3 or4 so I dont inadvertantly order the same key number at £144.68 inc Vat from the dealer [ non OE alternative/replacements might be cheaper, but I have a Range Rover and want a Range Rover key !!!

Not true you can own two keyfobs with the same number ie two key 1 as an example.
I have two Number 2 key fobs(dont ask how!!). The short coming is that only one can be sync to your vehicle at a time.I use one for atime and then sync the other one and use it for a while.Of course the first one will then no longer work until it is resynced. :thumb:

·
Registered
483 Posts
You can tell the key numbers from colour - not easy and certainly not if you are only holding one but if you can borrow somebody else's keys and they know 1 & 2 then there is a slight colour difference and you can work out which yours is.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used a similar service on another vehicle but to be fair I wasnt that pleased with the general feel and quality of the seperate fob relative to the OE key and so for the Range Rover I decided to get a 'proper' all in one integated key. The aftermarket ones are a cheaper alternative though, no question.

I didnt fully understand why you could not have two keys of the same number and only one work? but having to resync it is clearly the reason, so I guess as it is only a spare key it probably isnt an issue - past experience suggests that when you eventualy need your spare keyfob, it doesnt work anyway without fresh batteries!!!

Every days a school day!

Gordon

·
Registered
75 Posts
i know it is old thread but the topic attracted me to share the knowledge just i want to add this information i had before i lost one of them 2 key fob i used to use them both key 1 and key 2 at the same time on my 2001 4.6, one was with me and the other was with my wife and whenever i need the car i unlocked it by remote key 1 or 2 without problems until one of them lost now i will make another copy blade only not the electronic part as i did before with my other 98 autobiography which working without original key.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,756 Posts
You can tell the key numbers from colour - not easy and certainly not if you are only holding one but if you can borrow somebody else's keys and they know 1 & 2 then there is a slight colour difference and you can work out which yours is.
Sadly this is no longer true. Replacement keys all come in "black" now. For instance I have #1, #2 and #3 replacements for one of my rigs and all three are identical. Others have reported the same outcome when receiving their replacements on this side of the pond.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

have a problem similar as described above.
Bought a 2001 P38 4.6 HSE Vogue. Guess don't have to tell you why :)
The car was delivered with only 1 key and no EKA.
I got the EKA and ordered two new keys (one for the wife and one for me, the one what was with the car will be spare)
So I went to the LR dealer and two days ago I ordered two keys ( I did not know about #1 etc. )
Quickly two keys came in and today I picked them up. The mechanic would synch them, but hurrah it did not work.
I now can only use them as EKA keys,
I found out about the issue of #1 etc. and the one key I had with the car has #1.
The two new keys have #1 and #2

So what to do now?
I contacted the LR dealer and they said I had to make an appointment to hook up the car to the testcar to sync the keys? Wonder if that will do the job, having read the above.
I have made an appointment in a few days, but if anyone can give me advice or (a) tip(s) on how to sync the keys ( I do know the procedures, have tried them and they did not work.
Probably it is possible (by the LRD) with the computer testcar to reprogram the car's computer, but it is only a chance and might not work,
But it could be an option trying.

So If you have any suggestion on how I could get the new keys #1 and #2 synchronised with my car, that would be very much appreciated.

Frans

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,756 Posts
So If you have any suggestion on how I could get the new keys #1 and #2 synchronised with my car, that would be very much appreciated.

Frans
No TestBook or other equipment is needed to sync your new keys. Directions are on home page as well as numerous posts here.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Detecting key 1 and 2?
Why not set the seat preferences memory to oh, say, all the way forward for driver one (Key 1) and all the way back for driver 2 (Key 2) then use whatever key you have and see where the seat goes?
If you have a key 1 it will run the seat forward when, after super locking the car with the fob, unlock is pressed for more than 1.5 seconds
If it is key 2 then simply lock (not super lock) the car, press unlock for more than 1.5 seconds, and back it will go.
This procedure is in the manual
The fobs may not be able to tell you which they are, but the Rangie, with it's trick automatic seats will!

Now, the disclaimer:
I tried this with a known Key 1 on my 02 and a known key 2 on my 99 and the seats never moved. I will have to get out the FM and find out if this has been disabled in firmware.
As always, Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I remember reading Callrover could fit a new chip in a used key fob and reprogram it for another car. Guy was called Rick the Pick. He has not been on here for a long time.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
Interesting - I'll have to ask him about that at some point when I call him about repairing some old BECM's I have.

I know it is possible to program old key FOBs to a different BECM if you have the FOB code from the old BECM, but didn't know that he had the chips to program another FOB...
I've got a few spare FOBs lying around aswell - if that's the case, it might be an alternative to me buying a second FOB.

More food for thought!!

Marty

·
Registered
660 Posts
UK - only no.1 key is available now - parts ref for no.2 defaults to that for no.1 & 3 & 4 are no longer listed

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,756 Posts
UK - only no.1 key is available now - parts ref for no.2 defaults to that for no.1 & 3 & 4 are no longer listed
Listed where? I've read a couple times that only #1 is available. How is it that we can order other keys on this side of the pond when they come from the same place... or do they now?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought a new key form the dealer. £148.00
Just will not sync or start the car, I have been through all the suggested procedures don't know where to go from here, real PITA
Car is an "easy sync" 2001 diesel winging it with one knackered old fob at the moment
Back to the dealer I guess

·
Registered
931 Posts
Listed where? I've read a couple times that only #1 is available. How is it that we can order other keys on this side of the pond when they come from the same place... or do they now?
I think there is now only one part number for the fob,however when you order a fob you have to state whether it is to be programmed as number 1 ,2,3 or 4

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought a 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.6 a few weeks ago from a dealership. It has since come with a myriad of problems, one, that the car did not come with the key fob.

The dealership said they don't have it. They told me to go to Land Rover. I called, and the cost is $400+ to get one key fob.

I have read the forum, however, a little loss. Is there an alternative place to purchase the fob? And then have it activated by Land Rover? Or somewhere that can do both? Please advise.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts