RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
280 Posts
Hi, thanks Hans, this was a helpful write-up.
However I would like to warn readers about the cheap Ebay cases with blank keys. Make sure the one you get is an exact replica of the Land Rover key.
I bought two from an ebay seller and they look like a match and say they are a match but...
They are not exact replicas of the original.

The circuit board fits perfectly and the buttons and light work.

The blade is different in a few ways so I dont think it can be cut to match the lock. I showed it to a locksmith and he would not even try to cut it. I tried the blank in the ignition and it does not go all the way in but this could be that it is not cut yet, so not sure on that score.

1. The key blade is different and so cannot be swapped over unless you file the original blade tail down . Orig 2.5mm thick, replacement 2mm which means you cannot just drive out the pin and swap the blades over. so...
2. try swapping the whole old button activated key mechanism into the new case. Yes, but, the original button doesnt fit into the new case, its a bigger diameter. The whole mechanism will go if you use the new smaller button with the old key but then the key does not fold all the way in, flush inside the case when stowed away. It sticks out at about 10 degrees.
3. Back to filing the blade down to fit it into the new mechanism. I think this will work. I'll try it later.
Good luck
Cheers, Mick

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
103 Posts
I replaced my case and got the old blade in perfectly. Use fine flat files to file the blade down and go for a tight push fit. Any tighter and it will crack the die-cast piece it fits into. Be patient and keep testing it for a fit.

Tom

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
87 Posts
Hi, thanks Hans, this was a helpful write-up.
However I would like to warn readers about the cheap Ebay cases with blank keys. Make sure the one you get is an exact replica of the Land Rover key.
I bought two from an ebay seller and they look like a match and say they are a match but...
They are not exact replicas of the original.

The circuit board fits perfectly and the buttons and light work.

The blade is different in a few ways so I dont think it can be cut to match the lock. I showed it to a locksmith and he would not even try to cut it. I tried the blank in the ignition and it does not go all the way in but this could be that it is not cut yet, so not sure on that score.

1. The key blade is different and so cannot be swapped over unless you file the original blade tail down . Orig 2.5mm thick, replacement 2mm which means you cannot just drive out the pin and swap the blades over. so...
2. try swapping the whole old button activated key mechanism into the new case. Yes, but, the original button doesnt fit into the new case, its a bigger diameter. The whole mechanism will go if you use the new smaller button with the old key but then the key does not fold all the way in, flush inside the case when stowed away. It sticks out at about 10 degrees.
3. Back to filing the blade down to fit it into the new mechanism. I think this will work. I'll try it later.
Good luck
Cheers, Mick
I 2nd the key blade.
The ones I have purchased always have a different size opening for the cut key. So no swap is possible.
And most locksmiths won't cut the blank

21 - 23 of 23 Posts