RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Read Only
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I have a p38 2001 2.5 diesel Bmw engine, I had problem with starter relay, and ECU, I changed both and it runs now but only in limp mode, won’t go above 2000 rpm, have check obvious things ( vacum pipes, no error codes ) any help appreciated

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
770 Posts
Have you had it plugged in to any diagnostics to clear any faults ?.
Put where about you are in your profile, might be someone local..

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Sounds as though you have fitted an incompatible engine ECU. The replacement ECU needs to be exactly the same Bosch part number as the original one or you get checksum errors.
Also a BMW car engine ECU won't work in a p38.
They are usually very reliable. Why was there any need to change it?

·
Read Only
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses ... I am based in Limerick Ireland ...after changing the relay under the ECU , the Jeep wouldn’t start - I will check the revisions of the ECU, and try to get my hands on a more advanced diagnostics computer to read the codes. Cheers ..

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you've put the ECU from a manual into an auto or vice versa, it won't work - and one issue is that it won't rev properly.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I would guess there is nothing wrong with the ECU, it has just lost sync. You need the diagnostics to read the EMS code in the engine ECU and then enter it manually into the BECM.
It won't start unless the codes are the same.
Also stop calling it a Jeep.

·
Read Only
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys... the ECU that was in it was 0281001677 and the replacement one is 0281001676, not sure how to tell which is a manual or auto , but the rover is an auto. After starting and push accelerator to floor it revs to 2000rpm and after 3 secs or so it revs to 3500 rpm for a split second and back to 2000rpm and repeats this cycle. When driving it won’t go above 2000rpm

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The replacement ECU you have, 0281001676, is for an earlier car and is not compatible. That is the cause of your problems.
Your original ECU with the number 0281001677 is actually the same as on my car, a 2000 MY auto diesel with EGR valve. I suspect the earlier ECU is for a pre EGR engine. EGR was introduced from 1998 onwards.
You need to get the correct ECU or refit your original.

·
Read Only
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again, I will look into getting the same revision or get someone to look at the original one ( tried to refit it but no life - no engine light and won’t start - still not clear why it failed in first place)

·
Super Moderator
2,084 Posts
As Dave says, your original one has probably just lost sync with the BeCM so isn't being powered up. It just needs diagnostics plugging in, the code reading from the BeCM and writing into your ECU. On a petrol a loss of sync is usually as a result of a door latch or fob failure.

·
Read Only
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi there, I got this fixed today, a local engineer was able to use components from the old ECU and put onto the newer one. So it’s back running great again. Thanks for all the help. I Have to source or repair ABS pump now as it has a low pressure fault.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
I would not waste any time on the EGR, just disconnect it, take the guts out and block the pipe with a big bearing ball. I have used an older ECU on the moe modern engine and yes it can be done. Make sure you install teh air temperature sensor :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
I would guess there is nothing wrong with the ECU, it has just lost sync. You need the diagnostics to read the EMS code in the engine ECU and then enter it manually into the BECM.
It won't start unless the codes are the same.
Also stop calling it a Jeep.
Hi Dave,
How do you enter EMS code into BECM, manually?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts
I had to open this thread to find out what "limo mode" was - my P38A never had that option. :)

"The Jeep wouldn't start"!!!! What an insult!

Reactions: Dtoyne

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Hi Kapila,

I can only really speak about Faultmate, which is the system I am using. Also it is the procedure only for the diesel. Petrol models are a bit different.

You first do a scan of the Bosch engine ECU:

You will see my EMS code is 277. This is stored in the Bosch engine ECU and is fixed in the factory. It is non changeable.

You then enter the same EMS Code, into the BECM, where it is called "Immobilisation Code" and save it. It is then sync'ed.
Can't remember what diagnostics you have got. Faultmate can be operated in stand alone mode but really needs conecting to a pc to use all the features.

·
Read Only
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had to open this thread to find out what "limo mode" was - my P38A never had that option. :)

"The Jeep wouldn't start"!!!! What an insult!
Thanks for your constructive comments ... really big of you and hilarious ... hope you feel good about them. I’m glad there were other folks on this forum who were actually willing to help.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts
My pleasure.

I thought the Irish had a sense of humour.

You will need to lighten up if you want to own a Range Rover!

Reactions: marty_nz and Dtoyne
1 - 17 of 17 Posts