RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've recently got a United States issue P38 (it's a 2000 Range Rover HSE 4.6) and it included a locksmith-copied key-only in addition to one key-fob. The locksmith copied key is just a plain metal key. No electronics at all.

I'm able to use this key both to unlock the car and then start it. Everything I've read on this forum seems to suggest that the only way I ought to be able to start the car with a key like this is by doing the whole NAS EKA procedure (i.e. 1515). But it plainly works without doing any of that.

I'm not complaining, but I'm wonder if this is something I can actually rely on. Does anybody understand why this would work? Is it a common thing that a previous owner might have disabled the passive immobilizer, etc.?

-michael

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

The locking with the key works without any problems as long as the lock (that has small switches inside) is in good condition.
In case something goes wrong with the lock in the drivers door and the lock opens but the switch that normally signals the BECM that the lock is operated fails, the BECM will trigger the immobiliser and now you will have to use the EKA code to be able to reset the immobiliser. The problem however is now that this is done with the switch(es) that has failed and can not be performed properly which leaves you with the car in immobile state. If EKA code is tried and does not come through properly towards the BECM it will lock you out and can after too many tries lock up the BECM and it then needs to be unlocked with special diagnostics after is has been taken out of the car.

There are many posts here that describe the problems with people locked out of their cars and that the driver door locks failing is not uncommon.

With the key fob you can send a signal and operate the locks with the radio receiver. This signal opens the locks and disarms the alarm independent on the signal from the microswitches of the door lock.

Hope this explains it a bit more. Extra info about the way the locks work and the different locking modes as well as the elctric diagrams can be found in RAVE.

Regards

Jos

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like good advice. I didn't understand the whole business with the micro-switches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts