RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening boys and girls, just picked up a 4 litre SE and it is idling at about 3000 revs, removed air intake and blanked it off into engine and she idles no problem, does this mean she is pulling air in from somewhere else or do I have a sensor gone, any help gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,422 Posts
Well, let's start the ball rolling by asking you the year, engine type, and where you are. By your spelling of litre, I assume Europe, or the colonies somewhere? Of course, you could be expat as well....basically, we need more info please.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Check all intake gaskets and vacuum lines is where I would start

·
Registered
771 Posts
Easiest way to check for an air leak is to spray carb or brake cleaner around the inlet when it’s running,

·
Registered
361 Posts
I fixed my high idle with the Nanocom, can't remeber correctly, I thought something with a learning setting in the GEMS section..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankyou all for responding, have ordered new plenum and valley gaskets after checking the pipework, my mate did an adaptive reset with nanocom yesterday and she idles around 625rpm now but you can still hear she is pulling air in somewhere, will change the gaskets and see how she runs then, once again thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
Not sure what you mean by blanking the air intake, where did you take it off and what did you blank? It may just be that the Throttle Position Sensor idle setting is wrong in the ECU. It stores and idle position and if the stored value is lower than the actual value then it will idle very fast. Easiest way to check is to remove the two screws holding the TPS in place and rotate it slightly clockwise. If that brings the idle down to normal then it needs the adaptive values resetting. If you don't have the means to reset the adaptive values a quick fix is to enlarge the holes in the TPS so it can be rotated and left like that.

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
If it worked for you, out of interest what ELM327 Bluetooth dongle did you use? I've not found one yet that will work on a GEMS P38, they either do nothing or cause lots of weird messages on the dash display.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it worked for you, out of interest what ELM327 Bluetooth dongle did you use? I've not found one yet that will work on a GEMS P38, they either do nothing or cause lots of weird messages on the dash display.
It looks like it is the air bag diagnostic pin on certain markets. Pin 14 is reserved for CAN-low. I don't believe this pin was reserved in 1995 when the P38 went into production. If you removed this pin either physically or with a custom extension cable then a generic OBD2 reader will likely work, or you could just remove the pins from the reader as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts