RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone know what has happened to many of the pictures that have posted by members ?

I was looking for instructions on how to remove the headlining in my 2001 P38 and although there are a number of threads there are almost no pictures, just a triangular symbol with an exclamation mark. I think that this means the pictures have been deleted - what dickhead has deleted pictures which are an integral part of the instructions !!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried to follow a couple of links and the same thing happens - "oops, a problem has occurred".

Really, is there some stupid idiot removing older posts and thread, and pictures. If there is then he is a complete twat as most of us need the pictures to use as reference.

Pierre3.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
There's a full description in RAVE, Chapter 76, Chassis and Body, Repairs, Headlining. Dead easy if you attack it logically.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a full description in RAVE, Chapter 76, Chassis and Body, Repairs, Headlining. Dead easy if you attack it logically.
Hi Richard,

I found the RAVE instruction on a post in the Landy forum about 10 minutes ago.

How difficult is it to get the whole roof lining out ? I want to check the sunroof drain tubes, just in case there is a problem. I have run a nylon cable fish up the rear tubes from the back seat area, where they join the rubber tube going into the wheel well. They both seem to be free, but I would like to check them if removing the head lining is not a major issue.

I am getting water into the wheel well, and I was checking this evening, after heavy rain, and the water seems to be getting in somewhere around the drivers side rear light fitting, but I can't be sure at the moment. I think that I need to get the hosepipe out and get Madam to run water over the rear door and window while I get into the boot/wheel well area.

I have cleaned everything out and more or less polished the area in the hope of seeing a water track. I have also bent the bottom edge of the bodywork, under the rear seal, as per the RAVE instructions, and put a load of petroleum jelly under the rear seal. So far it hasn't fixed the leak. I think that the previous owner had the problem because the wheel well has been painted with black paint, a bit like an underseal product.

I could see a small water track down inside a cavity right below the rear light and a bit under where the rear power plug is, but it is difficult to tell whether the water is getting into the cavity [this cavity is the panel that runs from side to side under the rear seal lip], and also I can't see where it could exit to get into the wheel well.

When I looked at this this evening there seemed to be a damp track down the joint where the floor of the wheel well meets the side wall of the drivers side wheel well, right at the very back where the floor panel rises up the meet the panel behind the bumper panel.

A tiresome problem, and the vehicle does sound hollow and a bit rattly with all the rear carpet and panels removed.

Pierre3..

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It's not difficult but it's quite a job if all you want to do is have a look up there as all the pillar trims have to come off (which involves removing the seatbelt mounts), sun visors, interior lights, grab handles, etc then it drops out and has to be curved to get it out the tailgate opening. Just replied to you in the other place anyway.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, perhaps it may be easier to take out the sunroof panel, instead, to check the drain pipes. I would just like to ensure that the two rear ones are properly connected to the sunroof cassette.

Thanks for the other reply, as well.

Pierre3.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am just wondering whether there is a separate seal for the rear lights on the P38. I have looked at a German LR parts list [Allbrit.co.uk] but it doesn't show a seal or gasket for the rear lights, it does show the 5mm nuts for the lights but no seal.

Pierre3.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you remove the headliner after removing all the items mentioned above, the liner does come out. It’s a two person job to make it easier and have the rear seats folded full forward. You have to twist slightly to get the fiberglass shell out. Once out you can clearly see all four drain tubes and can easily disconnect each one to blow them out with compressed air. When all is good, really clamp the four clear tubes well. I used a tie strap for added measure on them but you could use a steel clamp like you find on a water hose and ensure they are snugged up. Best of luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've done the job on a Discovery twice. Things that I would do differently from the .pdf are..

1. lay out the headliner cloth on the shell and work from the middle to the ends. That is work middle to front and then middle to back. The pdf suggests laying down the cloth the 'long' way and working toward the sides.

2. use a cheap bbq grill brush to remove excess bits of foam and glue

3. 'over-wrap' it. The cloth you put down will never be as well adhered as the original. wrapping the cloth around all the edges and gluing and inch or two to the back side will help slow future deterioration. It also discourages wind from 'de-laminating' the cloth from the fiberglass shell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts