Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just the happy owner of a P38 , after my RR 1982 model became very tired I feel like in heaven ;-)
Anyway , I have a few issues with the vehicle ( still in heaven though ) , the Petrol Fuel Gauge never goes over 52 % .
The digital display tells me the average consumption fairly accurate ( 'till now between 100 km / 16.2 L and 100 km / 19.8 L ) . So I assume the tank sender tells the system correct values.
can I reset the gauge ? If so van I do that with a simple iPod / Android based OBD reset tool ( do not own one ) or if I can afford ( I may ) it go straight for a Faultmate diagnostic tool ?

Thanks to all :
Jac.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the consumption display doesn't use the fuel level sensor, it calculates this from the injector pulse duration. The "range" display should use the fuel level sensor though, is this working properly? Do you see full "range" with a full tank of gas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to refill to read that 'Full Range' , but as it is I can read a projected range which seems to be fairly accurate.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Exactly, the range will be affected only, it gets MPG via fuel usage pulses and this in turn comes from the injector pulse width.

I would be getting out a multimeter and RAVE and measuring what the sender is actually telling the BeCM, if that corroborates or looks plausible then look into a possible sender/float/wiring/connection problem.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Problem most likely the sender. There's a tech service bulletin on this which states that senders can be adversely affected when using ethanol blended petrol. I've had this issue a couple of time despite never knowingly used ethanol blended ulp. On both occasionsthe vehicle had not been used for a couple of months. I sorted it by adding a can of efi cleaner to an almost empty tank and then filling it to capacity and doing a long run. In both cases it freed the sender and life returned to "normal".:D

I also noticed that while the sender was on the blink and indicating a half full tank (despite being filled) so also the av. fuel consumption and range to empty were displaying readings approximating to only 50% full. So the fuel consumption was around 26 l/100km ...normally 12.5-13 and the range was just 50% of expectations....
Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts