RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I went to fill up today, and after I was finished I notice that the fuel door will not latch closed. The rod from the solenoid is sticking out about 1/8" from it's hole, and the little clip on the door itself that latches onto the rod is intact.

When I press the fuel door release button on the dash I can hear a slight clicking under the passenger seat, so I assume the switch is working.

I hooked up a multimeter to the solenoid plug and nothing registered so the switch isn't keeping constant power to the solenoid keeping it open. I don't have a second set of hands to push the dash button while I monitor the solenoid po for voltage so I'm not sure how to proceed at this point...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mark

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
i don't know what year the emergency string bit got added, but (if you have this) could this be holding back the plunger, if its not the little clip? (which would be my immediate thought)

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't know what year the emergency string bit got added, but (if you have this) could this be holding back the plunger, if its not the little clip? (which would be my immediate thought)
Larry, I checked that as well and ruled it out :? It feels like the solenoid actuated but never released...

-Mark

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
i've not physically seen but i had thought this was a proper solenoid but having looked at one's on ebay it looks similar in design to the tailgate lock. You should be able to separate the halves and see what is broken/jamming, its very simple inside (if indeed its like the tailgate) with a very coarse thread pulling the plunger and a couple of cogs and the motor. That said the clip doesn't need much to get a hold of and i'd always look at that first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts