Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 p38 diesel. Looking at the differential I was missing the front mass damper.
I was wondering if a diesel has one....... I looked in rave and microcat, but could not find the answer. It looks like it mus have one, so may be the former owner removed it.
Thanks in advanve

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Quite a few people remove them for weight savings or forget to reinstall them while doing other work. Somepoeple remove them not knowing what they are. THus far I haven't heard of, or can't remember, anyone posting up any issues without it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2 on my petrol car (front and rear), The diesel has only 1 at the rear only. So that is why I am wondering if the part is missing. Otherwise I find one to fit.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,245 Posts
Hi,
My diesel too has only the rear one.:think:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks. then i think it is only fitted on petrol models only. Anybody else with diesel and also no (standard fiited) mass damper?

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
i took mine off before I went to Moab. its been about 7000 miles and I can't tell they are missing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Diesels only have one mass damper installed to the rear axle. Only the petrol models have two dampers.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Ineresting tid bit of info. Anyone venture a reason why?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
My 2000 diesel also has only the rear one.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
"Ineresting tid bit of info. Anyone venture a reason why?"

One can only speculate but made me think of a rather good book (if you like that sort of thing) Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics (T.D. Gillespie), perhaps Chapter 5 Ride shows why.

It talks about the mounting of the engine/transmission package and goes on to state an inline 6 is "inherently balanced in all directions" as opposed to a 90 deg. V8 which has "a couple at primary rotational speed".
The engine and transmission package is also tuned to act on it's mounting as a huge damper of vibration to which the vehicle maybe prone, this is usually tuned to front wheel vertical vibration.

Anyone thinking of fitting non factory parts, polybushes etc. into the driveline might want to read that book before doing so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all. My first post on rangerovers.net so hope I don't look like too much of an idiot.

The mass damper on the front axle is very important for the V8's as the shorter front prop is prone to a resonance at 2000rpm more or less. 65mph did it on mine for years but nothing bad until the front universal joint started to rattle around in its cups. I didn't twig and so just pressed out the old and pressed in the new. Hey presto, quieter drive train! Two weeks later after an A1 MOT tanking down the motorway at 70mph and bang!! clang!! front prop shaft disappears over the crash barriers. Never thought to check the mass damper mounting duh. Wobbles all over the place not dampening anything.

Expensive lesson about long term damage and metal fatigue due to vibration. Just glad it didn't hit anyone.

Cheers

Adrian

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
I'm 20K miles without any mass dampeners now. still no issues. maybe you should try using locktite on your bolts next time.

LOL

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
860 Posts
I recently worked on a 2001 model that had drive train vibration on acceleration from around 20 mph to 50 mph. First thing I replaced were front and rear UJ's. No change so swapped both prop shafts with those from from my own car. No change.

Then the penny dropped and I realised the front mass damper was missing. Fitted a replacement and vibration gone. I guess each car has its own quirks and the damper will help. But I did not establish what was causing the vibe in the first place. Maybe it will return as more components wear with increasing mileage.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
164 Posts
I have a late 1994 model, so one of the first p38's and I never had one at either end, and never felt any vibration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMG_0031.jpg Quite right that it could have been due to many other factors (age etc) but not the bolts. New bolts and nylock nuts as per the workshop manual. All held firm while the UJ disintegrated.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I removed the rear damper, but with the lift and 33" tyres , DD front driveshaft etc , i have always kept the front damper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts