RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story starts with a failure of the crack angle sensor on my 2000 4.6 HSE that required a tow to my local mechanic (on a tilt tray truck).

Three weeks later the mechanic had obtained the correct spare and fitted it. Once again the engine was operational, but now I had an issue with the air suspension.

The rear air bags pumped up correctly, but the front air bags would not.

I had an EASBuddy plug which I tried, but that didn't fix the problem.

I also tried running the engine with a door open to "charge" the air reservoir,but that didn't help either.

Any Suggestions?

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
HUH, what is crack angle sensor?

Do you mean crank position sensor? there are only 2 GEMS and Bosch

as far as as your EASBuddy it only clears the code it does not repair anything or tell you anything. Get yourself REAL diagnostic gear and toss EAS"buddy" in the Rubbish bin, it is useless

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
as far as as your EASBuddy it only clears the code it does not repair anything or tell you anything. Get yourself REAL diagnostic gear and toss EAS"buddy" in the Rubbish bin, it is useless
Sure it won't repair anything but even more expensive readers don't give you terribly useful info. It resets the ECU which is far from useless after you have repaired the leak. After all, the by far most common cause of an EAS "35 max" shutdown is a leak causing the compressor to take too long to reach height. Fix the leak, reset with the Buddy, and off you go. Calling it useless......is useless.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Instead of beating him up about his diagnostic gear, why not read the post and apply logic to it?
We all also knew he meant the CPS.........

If the mechanic who installed the new CPS raised the front of the truck too high, possibly he caused a line to come off a bag, or possibly he even damaged one of the front bags or height sensors? Check the plugs and wiring to the front height sensors, and give the air lines and bags as good a look as possible.
A type specific diagnostic like a Nano would be of assistance as well. If you post your location, someone may be nearby and could help?

·
Super Moderator
2,084 Posts
I would also recommend the Nanocom but for just the EAS you don't need to go that far. Buy or make up a cable (see http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php/p38a-eas-unlock-videos/167-range-rover-p38a-making-the-eas-serial-cable) and download the free EASUnlock software (http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=56) and you have all the diagnostics for the EAS you will ever need. As said, the EASBuddy only resets any faults but if you haven't found what caused the fault it will only occur again.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
open a door while the compressor builds air, (some 10 minutes or so). then close the door to allow for self levelling, if all goes well the system should have enough pressure to allow suspension to raise almost evenly.
this should allow volume and pressure on your favor to detect if a leak is preventing inflation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMG_1459.JPG

I think I see the problem.....

could it it have been winching onto a tilt tray recovery truck?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Yep, there's your problem!
No, this was not done by the tow truck.
As I first suspected, the mechanic raised the front to access the CPS and unseated the bag, then cluelessly lowered the chassis on the crimped bag. Easy enough fix, but I would ask that they eat the cost of the new bag since they caused the problem.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You might not need a new airbag if it is just pulled off. Just lift the body with a floor jack (wheels on the ground) high enough to partially extended the bag. Work it back into place. Start it with the door open until the compressor shut off, close door and let it lift off the jack as the bag inflates.
Also, the shop had to have heard a loud bang when the bag came off and released its air. Nice of them to ignore it and send home with you. Wouldn't go back there if it was me.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
use soapy water to help seat the bag in place. it has ridges similar to the beads of a tire, thus it must slip in place. raise the chassis a few inches leaving axle on the ground, apply soapy water liberally, work bag on bead, with chassis supported inflate suspension and it should be it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts