RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
42 Posts
Values on P38s have been all over the place on BAT. A Bonatti Gray with 100k miles went for $20k, but then two 50k miles ones RNM and only $15k. This 2k mile one....not sure what I would do with it as it sat outside for most of the last 17 years......

·
Registered
770 Posts
That’s crazy,, my step dad is the same though, has a bmw motorsport, 1990 with 3k on the clock, why buy if your not gonna drive,,

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
I suspect the owner ordered all the extra stuff then realised it was so ugly he couldn't bring himself to be seen in it......

·
Registered
359 Posts
That drivers seat looks quite used, and the underbody also looks like it has done more then 2000kms.

But it's a beautiful car!!

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Seeing the comments by others I've just had a look at all of the pictures. If it has only done 2,000 miles, why has it had new steering arms and ball joints fitted? Front brake calipers, parking brake drum and transfer case motor look new too and haven't aged like a lot of the other parts (compare the pictures of the front calipers with the rear ones). If it has lived in Texas, which I understand is a dry state, why has the front crossmember rusted like it has? But the biggest clue to something not being right is the paperwork shows it was supplied with a Walnut leather interior, so why do the pictures show a Lightstone Beige one?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Sorry Capt Leo, I like the funky old sat nav (and carry a modern one in the cubby)

I am very suspicious of the rest tho'
Where are the puddle light lenses, and what the heck did they do to the poor front bumpstops in 2000 miles?

·
Banned
42 Posts
That rover sat on the bumpstops for the better part of 10-12 years. Literally this was outside for 17 straight years; semi-dry TX or not, the elements are going to have their way.

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
So why aren't the rears in the same state? That's been driven with the front on the stops. It looks like a con to me, look at the road grime on the rear diff in pic 221, that isn't going to happen with it just sitting still. In pic 217 you can see where the road grime has been pressure washed off but they've missed a few bits, 213 shows filth on the transfer motor connector and the silicon on the transfer case isn't the nice even run that you find on one that hasn't been apart. It has all the signs of a low mileage car that has been restored with lots of new bits, and a cynic might suggest that the BeCM and clocks are amongst the new bits. Why does the Carfax report show the mileage in 2003 but not since when it was serviced?

·
Registered
485 Posts
personally I would not purchase a vehicle that old with no miles on it as the seals and other components would not be at their best so to speak , if you wanted a show car that's different but not a daily driver . I can already hear the oil leaks .

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You guys should double as homicide detectives!
Well, when they are this easy, why not?
This is very obviously a clean example, however, there are way too many red flags flying.
Again ya gotta ask why all the major suspension parts replaced?
Hmmmmmmm.......:think:

Perhaps the proud new owner will become a member, and we can get first hand reports........

·
Registered
359 Posts
personally I would not purchase a vehicle that old with no miles on it as the seals and other components would not be at their best so to speak , if you wanted a show car that's different but not a daily driver . I can already hear the oil leaks .
Not using kills it! You're right with that.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well, when they are this easy, why not?
This is very obviously a clean example, however, there are way too many red flags flying.
Again ya gotta ask why all the major suspension parts replaced?
Hmmmmmmm.......:think:

Perhaps the proud new owner will become a member, and we can get first hand reports........
Red flags or not, I would still swap it with mine ;)

·
Registered
485 Posts
every piece of rubber in that vehicle would be sus including the bags orings etc ,it sat on bump stops because the bags wore perished not worn out , seals are designed to have oil around them not sit their and dry out and crack , same as the car that's only been driven by old lady to church on sundays ?do not buy unless you can fix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welp, despite the red flags I may have set the market and helped the valuation on your P38s, so you can thank me later for being that bonehead. There is already a partially restored 1978 Jeep Wagoneer with rebuilt and modified 401 in the stable, so I will have two historically unreliable vehicles in the quiver.

Objective is to get the P38 in service as a second or third daily driver. What is lacking in wrench skills, will be supplemented with sufficient investment - within reason.

Selling dealer was GM of LR Seattle, and their shop foreman already went through the rig for new parts and service, biggest of which was shot air bags. They have since put 200 miles on her. Most 19 year old P38's would have replaced the airbags once if not twice already, unless they had not just tossed the bags for coils. I want to attempt and save the EAS if possible first before going conversion route. Will know more tomorrow, and after giving her a good romp.

Much appreciate what has already been commented on above, and will rely heavily on this board's expertise. Thanks in advance for any help and patience.

Cheers

1978-jeep-grand-wagoneer-66000-miles-restored-by-wagonmaster-4.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

·
Banned
42 Posts
Welcome! Yes, you definitely set the market for P38s....but honestly not that much as that rig went for $27k on ebay a few months back & that was without any work being done to it. There were enough locals to the truck that I wouldn't worry about the naysayers re mileage---the 2k is legit, but the other concerns are pretty valid--especially rubber bits. Re EAS....given where you live, if it were my rig I would keep the air as your climate is pretty "seal friendly". If it is not staying up, the rebuild kits + youtube vids & 1 days work (and this is totally doable by anyone with some patience & some basic tools) will get you back pretty easily. My username on BAT is mopdahl -- congrats on the purchase & look forward to hearing how it goes.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Congrats on acquiring a P38. Low mileage one such as the one you acquired is quite rare. I'm pretty sure most of the major components, such as the engine and the drivetrain, won't give you problems.

One thing going for P38s is that parts sources are plentiful and prices reasonable. The vehicle is very easy to DIY, and quite enjoyable to work on, really.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts