Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i've recently purchased a 1996 P38 with the 2.5 diesel engine. Loving the car so far. It has an extra switch fitted next to the steering wheel which i don't know what it does. When i press it while the car is running it appears that it is drawing current. Maybe someone has a clue what it could be.

Attachments

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
686 Posts
Could it be a dieseinjector preheated ie pressing it heats up the next njectors to make it easier to start,, switch symbol to me looks like a coil hence my supposition

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
it looks like a factory recessed switch. Have you checked your owners manual?

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
Definitely not original. The symbol is for a glowplug warning light. It might have been fitted to bypass a failed glowplug timer or it might have been fitted to allow you to manually switch the glowplugs on when hot as a sort of poor man's hot start bodge to counter a stretched timing chain. What is the starting like, hot and cold? Or it could just be a switch someone fitted for some other purpose and it was the only one they had handy at the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The starting is good hot and cold. I guess i will follow the cables when i happen to have some spare time and i will report what i find.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Yea Richard I was on my tablet. On the big screen I can see the cracks and saw marks.

Twist, do you have off road lights on the front or aux back up lights. that could be filament logo for some kind of lighting.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
My bet would be a glowplug override to help poor starting. It wont do much good on hot starts though, as it's the fueling that's the problem, not the glowplugs.
The glowplug relay is located behind the battery, under the engine ECU. You'll probably find some extra wiring there.

Filip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts