RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to rebuild my P38 to an "Expedition" vehicle. Looking at what was available on the market, very few items fitted my vision of what I wanted to do, so decided to design and build everything from scratch. Not trying to build a Defender or a Disco wannabe... I wanted to build a Range Rover Expedition vehicle how they should have looked from the factory according to my views. Will keep on updating this thread as the build goes on.

My low milage Range Rover SE 4.0 ´95, still untouched
01.jpg

New tyres in the trunk
02.jpg

Maxxis Bighorn 265/75R16 being mounted
03.jpg

The raws for front and rear bumper
04.jpg

16.500 lbs winch being fitted
05.jpg

Skid plate being fitted
11.jpg

Managed to get my hands on one of the last remaining Lucky8s snorkels around!
12.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wow I'm excited, please keep the updates rolling

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roof rack pretty much finished, following the contour of the roof line!
Designed the roof rack so it is as low as possible in the front and about 4" height of the guard rail in the back.
Possibly I will also incorporate a hinged ladder that can be folded down when needed, and stored in the roof rack when driving.
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg

Installed a deflector mesh in the head of the snorkel
16.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Front winch bumper with winch shield taking shape
16A.jpg
17.jpg
17A.jpg

The original Range Rover bush bar is being modified to fit the new oversized winch bumper.
Please note the recessed winch fairlead mount.
18.jpg

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Very nice work! Where did you find the LED Light on the front of your rack?

Thank you

Scotty

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting closer to the finish line... Powder coat planned for next week
Then just all the other stuff awaits like snorkel and higher springs etc.

Roof rack shaped to the curve of the roof
19.jpg

Front view with everything in place
20.jpg

Some details of the front bumper
21.jpg
22.jpg

Rear bumper mounted
23.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The winch electronics hidden inside the bumper
24.jpg

The winch behind the shield
25.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bumper is bolted to 10mm (1/3") mounting brackets that has been welded to the frame.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All parts off to powder coating...

Now the 2nd phase of the project starts with snorkel installation, 120mAh battery, water proofing of the computer, ventilation hoses from bell housing and timing cover, 50" LED light bar, 2" additional suspension lift and the final component is the Terrafirma Rock Sliders that are scheduled for arrival and installation in mid December!

R

·
0 Posts
why not make decent galvanised and powdered sliders yourself, should not be much issue seen what you made allready...

why vent on bellhouse and timingcover? bellhouse is not watertight on the engine anyway. and timingcover is not open anyway it is connected to the sump and vented with the entire engine through the sumpventilation.

How are you gonna waterproof the computers.... they are not most conveniently placed regarding water...... and inside the doors you have your outstations... inside the door water rises much sooner than inside the car, the doorrubbers are pretty watertight (experience ;-) )

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why not make decent galvanised and powdered sliders yourself, should not be much issue seen what you made allready...
Galvanized sucks to weld!

why vent on bellhouse and timingcover? bellhouse is not watertight on the engine anyway. and timingcover is not open anyway it is connected to the sump and vented with the entire engine through the sumpventilation.
OK.. have to check up on that! But from what I read on the P38's the bellhousing and timing cover should be "plugged" before wading! Will check that up further, so thanks for the note!

How are you gonna waterproof the computers.... they are not most conveniently placed regarding water...... and inside the doors you have your outstations... inside the door water rises much sooner than inside the car, the doorrubbers are pretty watertight (experience )
It's just the computer in the engine bay I'm concerned about! I'll post more on it when I finished it! ;)

R

·
0 Posts
ah... that's the one I'm least concerened about... it's in a box, the bottom has two small drain holes and the top is right under the bonnet.... as long as you keep your dash above the water it should be fine ;-)as the ecu is placed bottom down in the box

with galvanised i meant after the welding before the coating, not starting with galvanised material

timingcover wadingplugs is with engines that have timing belts like the TDI's, the bellhouse on an auto has a few spots where it does not seal to the engine for the manual i'm not sure... been too long that i've seen one to remember (thank god):tongue:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Parts coming back from powder coating is being mounted
27.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Looks good! :thumb: The detachable winch shield will come in handy when cleaning. But I would put the relays for the winch inside the engine compartment (next tot the fusebox for instance), where there less exposed to water and dirt than inside the bumper.
Filip

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the tip, the relay box is IP68 classified so think it will be ok. Installing a 120 mAh battery, so won't be much space left below the fuse box. :)

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
IP68 should be more than OK! I assume this is not the standard relay box? Most winches just have a non-sealing plastic cover over the relays.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just some minor uppdates.

Replaced the liner with checkerplate
28.jpg

New insulation under the hood
29.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All the powder coated parts mounted. Next week the installation of the snorkel and suspension lift starts.

30.jpg

32.jpg

1 - 20 of 69 Posts