RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to this board and hope to be able to contribute in the near future but right now I need some help. I am stumped.. I have a 96 HSE 4.6. The problem I am having is when the engine gets to normal operating temp, it shuts off and wont restart until it cools down a bit. I thought I might have a coil pack problem so I changed them out with no luck. I removed the ECU and took it apart and there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with it, it still looks brand new. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the problem. I have searched far and wide for the answer and cant come up with anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. When the motor cut off the first time, I got a fault code in the trans. I had it scanned at the local parts house and it showed a speed fault. I am pretty sure this came about because the motor cut off while running. The motor shuts off even when I let it sit in the driveway and idle without driving it so I dont see how this could be the problem, and oh yeah, the nearest dealer is an hours drive away so taking it there is a last case option since it will have to be towed. Thanks for your help in advance.
-Greg

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
First off welcome aboard.
Secondly, please fill in your info so we can see where you are located etc. as there may well be a member near you that can scan it for you :thumb:
I would just go ahead and throw the dealers number away, mine has not seen a dealer in the @3yrs and 50k miles we have had it.
Heat breakdown normally indicates either an ignition (coil, leads, plugs etc) issue, or fuel evaporating. I doubt the latter myself.
It can easily be a sensor too. Some scanners from parts stores will give you live data (the scanners that are also called code readers), and that will let you see most of the sensors that will shut it down.

Martin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. After doing some searching on here it seems like it may be the crank sensor. I have located one here in town and am going to try that this evening. If you guys have any other thoughts let me know! Btw, plugs and wires are only about 4 months old and I changed the coil pack also. The motor starts and runs like a dream until it reaches temp, no difficulty starting when cool, no skips, no nothing until it shuts down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts