Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always wanted a RR but had not read information about the problems with the blocks etc.
So i recently bought a 96 4.0 RR SE automatic and subsequently took the head off because of high carbon in coolant diagnosis by local garage
head gasket etc looks fine
evidence of coolant in middle two cylinders drivers side
looks like slipped liner and will carry out pressure test as others have described to confirm
thinking of scraping it now ( seems a pity because it is in very good condition) after reading all problems with the blocks

Cautious of spending all of my time installing new block (even if i could afford it) and having the same thing happen again.
I am lucky i suppose because i carry out all maintenance work myself which would reduce costs however -

Anyone know where i can at least get a quote on a block that i could be confident about and would have a guarantee?
Is there any other block on the market that will fit?
Or even would it be better to change whole engine with a different model ?

Really depressed having bought my dream car and realising it seems to be rubbish.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
if its slipped liners then something drastic has to happen, either you can take a punt on ebay (you might be lucky) or something like Turner Eng. exchange block with T hats or perhaps a new coscast

G

·
Thought slipped liners were mainly a 4.6 problem... or is it just more likely on all the earlier blocks ? {Yes, dreams can become nightmares..!}

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Check out V8Developments. They do all different specs of top hat linered blocks/engines etc. (24month warranty)

http://www.v8developments.co.uk/

£950.00 to put top hats, new cam bearings, core plugs etc in your block or £1650.00 for a short engine (block, crank, rods/pistons etc) They do mention they've done 1000's engines with their top hat method and they've never had a failure. I'm waiting on the outcome on my block pressure test. If it fails I think I'll be using them.

G

·
- Not seen that useful info before Larry S. but very impressed with their report/analysis - and particularly that they would cut the block open with a laser to get to the bottom of the problem !!

From some of the comments on their site about this it looks like the problem is with the later blocks, not the early ones (?) I previously read elsewhere that the 4.6 blocks were worse (ie. some are more 'porous') due to the further boring out needed (cf. 4.0 blocks)... ?

- Also very interesting info. P38Rangey, a bit pricey maybe (?) but it looks like it really solves the problem !

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
I thought that the 4.0 / 4.6 bores are the same, just the crank throw of the 4.6 greater?

G

·
Well, SpiggyT, I probably should have written 'I previously read elsewhere.... on the interweb (so it must be true) ?' !!

Similarly there were other 'unconfirmed reports' (I have read....) that this problem is 'more prevalent' on the 4.6...

There still does not seem to be any definitive reasons why this 'slipped liners' problem actually happens, but just lots of ideas: Bad castings 'from some manufacturers' ? / cast blocks cooling unevenly ? / blocks being cast with holes (rather than the holes being machined out) ? and so on... Perhaps none/some/all of these ?? Either way it is irritating that customers have no redress in spite of an obvious quality issue.... ??

Anyway, at least someone who knows what they are doing has devised a good working 'cure' now ?

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Spriggy is quite correct and i think it's generally very well known that both blocks are the same [94mm] bore, no boring out involved. iirc 4.0 are worse than 4.6's (overall) due to the graded blocks each were given. :thumb:

G

·
Well, and again, I was not implying 'Spriggy' was incorrect, just that there are lots of 'unconfirmed rumours' about this 'slipped liner' issue - now including yours and the 4.0/4.6 'block grading' comment... The extra complication is that the 4.6 seems to have a reputation for blowing head gaskets, and some folks blame those symptoms on the liners, instead ?

Either way (and at risk of starting another argument..) what are the facts about the causes of this block defect, anyone know ?...

Do you think LR will tell us 'the truth' via the UK FOI process ?? (No, never mind...)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts