RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's..

Im looking to remap my p38 1997 2.5 and wanted some pointers..

Obviously I need to buy a eeprom programmer (which I've been looking at buying for some time)

I need the blank chips to program

I also need the dump to program the new chip.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the chip & dump from?

Also, I see that there are 2 eeproms within the ECU, do both of them need to be programmed or just one?

Many thanks in advance

ASH

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,520 Posts
The 28 pin eprom chips used in the Bosch engine ECU are no longer manufactured. I think they were M28C16. It has been a while since I used them. They were single use only. You can however get other suitable used eeproms on Ebay, then erase them using a UV eraser and rewrite to them. I have used 27C256 chips but you can use 27C512 chips as well and adjust the memory address.
You will need a standard Willem eeprom programmer. Lots of free software out there. I used Willem Eprom3.
Only one chip is changed that contains the fuel maps. The other contains MAP (manifold absolute pressure) data and I think the ECU sync code.
You won't find any dumps for a p38 out there. Only maps for the BMW diesel car which won't run. There are a number of ECU variations for the p38 and the maps are not interchangeable. Yours will be for a pre EGR car.
Unless you are planning on writing your own maps it is easier to buy a chip from someone who does it for a living.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for the help..

I dont suppose you'd be interested in doing me one would you?? :)

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,520 Posts
I would like to help Ash but my chip won't run on yours. My car has a MAF and EGR whereas your doesn't.
Here is a link to a guy in the Czech Republic who writes his own chips.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROVER-2-5-TDS-Power-chip-Chiptuning-/221701610084?

I bought one of his chips and it goes well. Offer him 20 GBP he will probably take it. You will need to specify the exact year and ECU code.
I have since fitted another chip to take advantage of a larger intercooler. I put them into a zif socket in the ECU to swap them over easily. If you decide to go ahead I can advise what to do, or in my case what not to do.

I have only copied the chips with an eeprom programmer, which is relatively easy. I really wanted to alter the fuel maps, particularly the boost pressure, but I could not find all the map start addresses in the coding.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive just offered him £20.. lets see if he bites.. thanks for your help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts