RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
I began to notice that my Rangie had a tendency to lean on the left side a moth ago and its gotten really worse now the car leans a lot on left side. I don't really get why this is happening because the EAS system runs perfectly no leaks the car rises immediately after you start it and I didn't have any EAS faults also it drives fine. I tried to get it calibrated with obd diagnostic tool but no luck I think though that's down to the tool. Also I took the car to an electrician to fix my cruise control and am wondering if this is associated with the problem. At last is there a possibility that my air springs have gone bad, they are not the original ones they where replaced at the dealer around 2008 but still that's a long time ago

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Thanos, what diagnostic tool did you use to 'calibrate', there is no such tool that can calibrate by the push of a button.
There is TestBook at the LR dealership, Nanocom Evolution or Faultmate, the only free software is from RSW solutions called the EAS unlocksuite, free to download.
All they do is read the present settings, you can alter it and store it to the ecu, but first you need to know what the right settings are by using the block of wood method as described here:
http://www.rangerovermaniac.com/index.php/articoli-tecnici/item/80-range-rover-p38a-suspension-set-up-and-calibration.html
For general info there is a sticky on the mainpage of this forum.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey guys
the EAS system runs perfectly no leaks the car rises immediately after you start it
Now there is a contradiction, if it had no leaks it would not need to rise as soon as you start it as it would have stayed at the height you left it. If it is dropping when left, either only on one side or completely, then you do have leaks. The original air springs were replaced after 11 years so the replacements, after 9 years may well be on their way out. If the replacements weren't genuine Dunlops, then they've done well to last that long, the first set I replaced with Dunlop copies, only lasted 2 years. Get, or make yourself, a cable and download the free RSW EASUnlock software. You can download it from http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php/component/content/article/82-uncategorised/53-range-rover-p38a-eas-unlock and follow these instructions and make your own cable http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php/component/content/article/82-uncategorised/54-range-rover-p38a-eas-cable

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
And if its levels out when you start it, the height sensors are fine. You probably have a small leak in one of the left bags or connections which is causing the lean. It may even leak at standard height until it sags just enough to fold over the leak, stopping the leak.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi to all,
and sorry for the delay I was abroad
firstly tool i used is an autodignos which you can access the EAS system and change the values or reset them to factory settings which is what i did.
The air springs were replaced with genuine ones at the land rover dealership back in 2008 and since then the vehicle has done around 27k miles.Also The car doesn't drop as soon as you turn it off holds air for about a week. furthermore the car always leans to left side either if its running or not. Weirdly though after I returned from my trip in the UK so the car was completely unused for week it was way better the lean was barely noticeable. Now it is again on the car electrician because the cruise control failed again and the clock spring too flagging an air bag fault.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Thanos, there are no "factory" settings for calibration. Whatever this miracle button does it does not set them to a factory spec because standard numbers are physically impossible. Each height sensor will have a different hex number based on install angle, wear and age. If one or more have been swapped from side to side, or if there are replacements in the mix. they will all have different values when level. They were all different from the factory and they always will be.

Cruise control failure is no big deal. Testing procedures are in RAVE.

·
Registered
771 Posts
You need to make up some height blocks, and get yourself rswsolutions software, as RRTH says, each sensor will give a different value, the blocks help you to get it sorted out to the right heights, when I first read my heights, there were differences of upto 20 above what is supposed heights,, difference left to right

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
can we all just give the height blocks a rest? THey are not nor have they ever been required to calibrate a P38. Urban legend. Start with your rig on a level surface. raise the low corner about half of what you think you should. THis lowers the high corners as the low corners raise. I can calibrate any rig within 15 minutes without the insipid blocks that folks spend half a day making.

·
Registered
690 Posts
That's an interesting approach and one that will get you out of a hole until you can calibrate the EAS properly, but you do really need to use the height blocks to get it right because that way there is no pressure (or nearly no pressure) in the bags. Where the body sits isn't massively important, because they're all a bit different anyway.

I've done a few now that have had all sorts of odd EAS faults and generally doing them with even the EAS Unlock Suite and the "normal height" 100/105mm blocks solves it. If someone's been fiddling and tried the "tape measure and Mk1 Human Eyeball" method, it usually makes stuff worse and you end up with it sitting level on your driveway but ending up at odd angles when you drive off, weird EAS faults where it shoots up to extended height and gets stuck, and other such haunted behaviour.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts