RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New user here. Spent the last several hours scouring the forums trying to uncover an issue before posting and cannot seem to find anything. Here's where I'm at:
  • Just purchased a 1999 P38 Rover yesterday with a laundry list of repairs longer than I knew possible! Ha!
  • I have one key fob. It does not work. Have tried to replace the batteries to no avail.
  • When using the key to try and unlock the truck manually, it does not do anything. No resistance is on the key.
  • When you try to lock the car from the inside before existing, once you close the door, the locks unlock...
I can't seem to find similar symptoms. Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
108 Posts
Sounds like the clip that attaches a rod from the door latch that is inside the door the outside door handle's lock has come loose.

You will need to unscrew the 25 Torx screw on the side of the door. Then slide the door handle toward the front of the vehicle. This will allow you to pull the half of the door handle out about an inch exposing the rod that has come loose. Put a new clip on the lock lever with the hole in it. The failed clip is most likely still on it. Insert the rod into the hole of the lock lever and through the clip. With a pair of needle nose pliers squeeze the clip so this does not happen again. Use key to rotate the lever so you can get access to both sides of the clip to squeeze it well so it locks into the groove of the pointed rod.

A new clip can be purchased from Atlantic British. Item MTC9290G

When locking the doors using the sill locks and then sitting the door it is normal for the doors to automatically unlock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kenin, I appreciate your response to a new user. I'll get to work on this this weekend and see what I find!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Be aware that where the Torx bolt goes through the door and into the back of the door handle, there is a steel spacer between the two door skins so you don't crush the door when you tighten the bolt up. Sometimes it stays in place other times it drops into the bottom of the door so you need to take the trim off to put it back.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
Folks do yourselves a favour and test your latches and inspect your lock rod clips. it's as easy as following the directions in in the front door latch testing sticky at the top of the forum

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Totally agree and when something that doesn't seem right happens, investigate it rather than ignore it and hope it goes away. It won't and will only get worse.

To the OP, if the fob has never worked since you have owned the car, does the LED come on when you press a button on it? If it does then it is likely that it only needs to be synced to the car. The fobs are the primary method of locking an unlocking, the key in the door is a secondary back up in case the fob stops working so the mechanism was never designed to be used all the time. Once you have the rod re-connected and the locking working, then you can try to sync the fob. Assuming all the microswitches in the latch are OK, put the key in the lock, turn to lock and hold there, press and hold the lock button on the fob until the LED starts to flash faster, release the button on the fob and turn the lock back to centre. Then turn the lock to unlock and repeat using the unlock button on the fob. That will sync the fob to the car so it should work.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
108 Posts
Richard G is correct about the spacer. After you unscrew the 25 torx screw if you hear a thump it was the spacer dropping to the bottom of inside the door. You have 2 options then. 1 take off the interior door panel so you can put the spacer back into place when screwing the 25 torx screw back. This is the proper repair. If you don’t want to take the door panel off then put a couple of washers around the 25 torx screw They will prevents you from tightening the screw too much and denting the door panel where the outside handle attaches.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kenin, I followed your instructions last night and got this fixed. Thank you. I am still using the same clip but have one on order.

Unfortunately, no LED lights on my fob work. I've tried to replace the batteries. Unless I'm wrong, I assume it's beyond my capacity to repair and I don't want to further damage my only key trying to fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts