RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Hoping someone could lend some ideas with relation to a vibration that I am having with my P38 diesel, vehicle has just turned 90K miles.

Problem I am having is that at around 50mph I get a vibration / shimmy through the steering wheel. I have recently put a set of 18" wheels and tyres on and I cannot be certain whether the problem is simply exaggerated through the fitment of these tyres or has caused it in its entirety.

On the 16" wheels, there was some vibration and shimmy but not as bad, but the vibration at 50 was not particularly noticeable.

I checked the propshafts and ball joints (upper and lower) and did not find any wear. I found a bit of slop in the steering joints so changed the drag link / track rod along with the joints, and also changed the steering damper. I hoped that this would fix it but to no avail.

I have checked the viscous coupling and this is all in order.

I am running out of options and patience. I have searched on the various forums and there have been numerous mentions of a similar problem but unfortunately no solutions.

As mentioned earlier, the wheels and tyres are relatively new and I am going to get them re-balanced at 3pm but other than that I can't think of anything left to do?

The only thing in the back of my mind that I thought might possibly cause it is that I know that the dual mass flywheel needs changing. It has been faulty for some time but apart from some "wobble" at idle it has not bothered me unduly. Is it possible that the problem could be related. I'm not ruling out the vibration coming from anywhere as from previous vehicles I know that the vibrations are transferred through the steering.

Any advice please? I am due to pick a caravan up on Monday with it!

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi,
I had the same, till yesterday.
Search this forum for "death wobble"

I had, searched, and change to new tyres and alignement set to -0,3mm both wheels, it cured.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
223 Posts
jesusg9 said:
Hi,
I had the same, till yesterday.
Search this forum for "death wobble"

I had, searched, and change to new tyres and alignement set to -0,3mm both wheels, it cured.

hope this helps.
Hi Jesus!

But was the -0,3 mm calibration that cure it or was the calibration and the new tires?

·
Registered
94 Posts
tomcatrr said:
jesusg9 said:
new tyres and alignement set to -0,3mm both wheels, it cured
Hi Jesus!

But was the -0,3 mm calibration that cure it or was the calibration and the new tires?
Hi Paulo,

both: callibration AND new tyres.
These cured the death part of the death wobble, but still a very-very slight wobble remains when bumps.
Best regards.
7-0 ! :thumb:

·
Registered
223 Posts
jesusg9 said:
tomcatrr said:
jesusg9 said:
new tyres and alignement set to -0,3mm both wheels, it cured
Hi Jesus!

Hi Paulo,

both: callibration AND new tyres.
These cured the death part of the death wobble, but still a very-very slight wobble remains when bumps.
Best regards.
7-0 ! :thumb:
Thanks Jesus.
Since I will put new tires and a alignment I hope the wobble ends!

(7-0, to soon to be happy, lets wait if the "reliability" keep going :wink: let´s say they are just like my P38, one day ok, the other no... `) )

·
Registered
865 Posts
Wheel bearings......

Im adding this as its drastically over looked so here goes.

I replaced my right front bearing hub and all seemed smooth, so great it works but I left the mmm yes the left hub for a few weeks to get used to the difference, bare in mind when I only replaced the right hub I noticed a diffrence, wooble before change was every now and then...

Last week end I went ahead and replaced my left front bearing hub.........all I can say is wow what a difference, when I removed the left front hub and turned it by hand it felt smooth and in theory should'nt have needed replacing cos it felt like really smooth but the test drive proved otherwise.

Whilst I had the whole lot dis-assembled I really went to town and inspected everything.
First pointer to a failing bearing in my case despite it feeling smooth was the splines on the CV joint shaft, this section is well sealed against the elements as the hub nut is really tight.
On the spines was evidence of it getting hot, using a wire wheel brush on a drill proved that this was the case which in turn means the bearing was getting hot, on the splines there was a blackish rusty type deposit and thats all I need to confirm my investigation.

Once on the highway at say 120kph I can rapidly accelerate to say 140 with great ease
where as before it would go but not as progressive as now, in fact I now really have to watch my speed
The difference is noticable and impressive.

Now that I've done both fronts Im going to do the rears without question.

As I've stated my bearings on the front felt smooth but the replacement results proved otherwise so take it for what it is.

My Rangie has now 259780km's and the bearings should have been replaced long time ago but I didnt own it then.
Another point worth noting is I have hubs from a stripped P38 with a minor front corner smash, it has 167000km's and the left front bearing is grabby, this vehicle never did off roading and was a kiddy carrier all its life until scrapped for parts.

Oh yeah and not even the slightist wobble to note after bearing hub change.
New bearings were pressed into exchange hubs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts