Range Rovers Forum banner

P38 diesel VC fan

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  kapilamuni 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
I have observed that the car runs smooth when the engine temperature is arounf 85 C.
Normally, fully warmed engine is at 89-90C without AC and 92-93 C with AC.
So to get the engine temps lowered, I thought of changing the VC fan from BMW M51 to BMW M57 .M57 fan diameter is 420mm which is about 40 mm larger than M51 fan and also it has the fan blades joined at the circumference, to reduce noise.
Having purchased a new VC coupling & a M57 fan (Febi), today put them together and.....
Mechanical fan Wheel Alloy wheel Auto part Rim

Rim Spoke Auto part Wheel Alloy wheel

The VC coupling holes are not aligning with fan hub holes.
Now can anyone suggest a way to get this thing installed?
Don't worry about the cowling, I'm going to get it enlarged to match the fan.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you want to lower the running temperature, you need to change the thermostat. The standard one should start to open at 80°C. If you lower the temperature in the radiator, the thermostat will close to restrict flow and keep the engine at its operating temperature.
The viscous fan will only make a difference when slow moving. At speed, you should get plenty of air flow. The fact that temperature rises with the AC on, does mean your coolant systems is approaching its limits, so the bigger fan might help a bit with that. Have you checked operating temperature on the M57? Chances are it's higher (as most recent engines), so the fan might not lock as much at lower temperatures.

Filip

#3 ·
The car has the genuine thermostat which opens at 80 C.
I'm trying to replace only the plastic fan (the VC part is M51, so the locking function should be same), which has a larger diameter than the M51 fan.
I guess, BMW went for a bigger fan in M57 for a reason though I didn't check the running temp of M57.

I'm just expermenting. Any idea how to join these two, ?
I thought of getting a circular plate made & drilled to match bolt holes, but not sure relaibility.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.