RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've been in the process of replacing my crankshaft damper and noticed I've got quite the leak of oil around the timing chain cover.

Looking at the manual, says the head and the sump had to come off?! Seems like this is a bit overkill!

Any ideas chaps?

Many thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
114 Posts
Looking at the manual it basically says to remove the pulley, pop the seal, drop in a new seal and put it back together (assuming you are talking about the front timing case seal).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the reply. It's the actual casing that's wet around one side - it may be a slightly fractured casing, so I was hoping to do the seal, probably the sump and the entire cover itself as well as waterpump whilst I'm in there. Just dont fancy doing the head!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
908 Posts
You don't have to. Remove the sump bolts & push it down. The timing cover has 2 or 3 bolts joining it with the head. Remove nuts of those and then remove the lhs bolt (stud) from the head using two nuts. Then after removing crank pulley & water pump you can push the timing cover down & out, slowly. Once you are there don't forget to replace the crank shaft oil seal but do not remove the oil pump. If you remove it, need the special tool to align it. See RAVE for instructions on timing cover seal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts