RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a range rover p38 2.5 diesel 1999 with an auto box. Recently acquired so working my way through any issues that crop up. One thing I have noticed is that when driving and you stop say at a junction or traffic lights, the car has a habit of slightly rolling backif your foot is not on the brake. My experience of auto boxes (limited to be fair) is they tend to want to move forward. Is this an indication of something wrong or just a quirk???? Mike

·
Registered
174 Posts
Several things have changed with automatic vehicles. One is the idle speed. Idle speeds used to be higher due to emission controls. A slower idle will reduce the tendency to roll forward. Another is the "stall speed" of the convertor. A "looser" convertor will allow some roll back, due to the reduced load on the transmission. Unless there is a noticeable slippage in the transmission, I would simply keep a foot on the brake. Diesel as well as gasoline engines are tuned differently now due to improved controls. Ray

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,439 Posts
Check the diesel idle speed, it should be 750 rpm. If it is a steep hill my car (diesel) will roll back in "D" but is very easy to control on the throttle. Slight incline or on the level, it will creep forward as all automatics do.
I have however fitted an uprated torque converter which does not slip as much, but it was the same with the original. In neutral it will obviously roll back without the brake on.
If you are new to Landrovers, they all roll back on the handbrake. It works on the back of the transfer box, not the wheels, so it will move a little due to transmission take up.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Bit more info needed:
- is it rolling back in N or in D? Or even P?
- is it rolling back on the level or on a slope?
- does it roll forward when nose down or only backwards?

Filip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts