RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, I am faced with a quandary. A customer has decided to modify his p38 and installed a 5 inch suspension lift, needless to say he has developed the famed "death wobble".
here is where I fall in to the fable, I am tasked with finding castor correction ways, either in the form of modified radius arms or castor bushings. any other suggestions are welcome. yes for the sake of argument I have explained to him the few if any options available.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
201 Posts
Just check that he hasn't put after market wheels on the truck or is running anything that the normal 16" wheels these things came with (even later model RR wheels can be a problem). The P38 wheels are centred by a tight fit on the hubs, not by the wheel studs and nuts (the classics had self centering rims and nuts). Unless the wheels are a tight fit on the hub centre, death wobble is almost guaranteed. You can get rings or bushings off of fleabay to fix the issue. These slip inside the centre of the wheel, making it a tight fit on the hub.

How snug? Well I have seen poorly maintained P38s where it has been almost impossible to get a wheel off due to rust on the hub growing over a number of years.

If the wheel fit is OK, then you will need to increase the castor angle. How much, with a 5" lift, might be a little bit of by guess and by god.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
95, p38, special edition.
112 Posts
Serious stress on the ujs, would it not have been better to raise the body off the chassis?

·
Registered
481 Posts
What bushes in the radius arms? Poly bushes are rubbish, but any bushes will be seriously stressed by now. Of course cranked arms wd be the way to go...cheaper to remove the lift kit? Btw, I have P38 R18s - R16s are not the only game in town, but the above comments about spigot rings still hold true, and the right wheel nuts...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this unit is a 96 nas with factory 18 inch mondials, he has a set of 16 inch rover wheels wrapped with 35 inch tires waiting to be installed once the axle issue is corrected, other than the lift all is factory. cranked arms or corrected bushings will be a way to go but unfortunately not one vendor seems to offer, thus my inquiry in case a member has lead.
many options are being taken into consideration including lowering by at least 3 inches, I want to exhaust all other venues before committing to lowering this unit.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can we see some pics of the lift please, how has he got 5" of lift.
I have never been able to post pictures, may be an issue with operating systems. this guy claims he purchased a set of used coil springs out of a 110 which was being lowered to factory specs in order to be transported.
the p38 suspension is very different to other rovers of similar vintage, rear shocks and spring perches are much shorter in length than the front when compared to front, but the springs sit deep into the bottom and top perches this creates a recessed mount.
some how he had to use spacers to level rear and front, he used terrafirma extended shocks. I have inspected the truck but did not take part in the suspension work, it is currently parked at the customer's place of business.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts