RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 P38. I have a coolant leak, rapid dripping, from what seems to be behind the water pump. I can't see the actual source, can't fit my head in there, but the coolant is running down on top of the part that the water hose is clamped on. Can't tell if the water pump is attached to that part or separate. The attached image shows the coolant on the part that the hose is clamped on. It all looks difficult to get to to find and repair the leak. Grrr P38 Grrr.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Most likely, the bearing in the water pump is shot and the coolant is draining out of weep hole. It's designed that way, to warn you that the water pump needs to be replaced before more damage is done.

Another possibility is that the water pump gasket is shot.

However, I think the case is the former in this case. Either way, you will have to get the water pump out. Fortunately, it's a pretty easy DIY job.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
+1 on water pump. Easy test, take the serpentine belt off and see if the pump has any play in it. It almost certainly will have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I’ve been checking out the procedure for replacing the water pump. Seems do-able. Sigh. Just when I fixed that other problem... any ideas on a replacement pump in Australia?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Airtex pump. Don't lean on the water pump bolts too hard, they'll go ping fairly easily. Some of the bolt holes are open at the back, so some bolts (the top one for me) may well be reluctant to move. Then I had to deploy the stud extractor - I was lucky, it broke at the head. Best to avoid that if you can

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much everyone. Not looking forward to all that. I might try and find someone else to do it. Otherwise...
Chris

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
It dead easy, the hardest part is cleaning the old gasket off the face before bolting the new pump on. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours even if you've never done one before. Belt off, fan off, unbolt the old one, clean up the mating faces, bolt the new one on, fan on, belt on job done.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Can be a bit messy too, with coolant everywhere, but yes, not so scary, just take your time if it seems daunting at first. Getting the viscous fan off may take some time if it hasn't come off for a while - you need a 36mm open ended spanner, and rubber strap wrench (or you can use a special tool to hold the pulley, but the cheap ones don't work for me, and the proper ones cost $s). The Gems V8s use a normal/ right-hand thread

·
Registered
27 Posts
Indykawa007, if you don't want to tackle the water pump your RR ownership experience is going to get real expensive very quickly. It is one of the easiest jobs to do.

Sadly these trucks aren't worth much anymore so paying a mechanic to do these types of repairs is uneconomical.

The workshop manuals can be found in the google drive in my signature. Help yourself to what you'd like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts