RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am hopefully soon goin to be the proud (or frustrated!) owner of a P38. I have always wanted one and now seems to be the right time for me.. its time to change my L200 pick up truck fo something more comfortable, and working on a rather delightful country estate in Dorset the timing, and image seems right!
Of course I m also a glutton for punishment (I even had a turbo charged rover 1.8 K series, for those in he UK you can probably guess what fun that was!).
Anyway after reading your forum solidly for the past week I feel pretty prepared for the hunt for a decent one but have a few quick questions if you would be kind enough to induldge me.

Firstly I plan on buying a Nanocom Evolution, I always buy a sensible diagnostic system fo a car, although this will b te most expensive yet. Is it still the best option on the market, and am I right in thinking it is set up for the age/engine of the vehicle, GEMS, BOSCH etc. but not coded to a specific single vehicle VIN? I guess connected to that is the Faltmate, in the grand scheme of things its a little more expensive but is it worth the extra. What more can it actually do?

Next up is my mental list of must haves... Aside from all the usual buyer checks about the only thing I have come up with is whatever car I go for has to have at least one (preferably two) working keyfobs (and keys of course). In my mind this would greatly reduce my chances of coing unstuck with a vehicle that wont start/locks me out. Is there anything else I am missing?

Finally apart from the diagnostics is there any other useful/specific tools, emergency spare parts etc. that I should budget for, or even buy before getting the vehicle?

I suppose I should say I am looking ideally at a V8 but havent ruled out a diesel. Any age and almost any spec. I expect I will be mostly governed by whats available, and fits my other criteria on condition, servcehistory, keys etc!

Any pointers etc you can give from your own ownership would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,295 Posts
The Evo's a good idea. Catch 22 is that you can't buy it until you know what vehicle you're going to end up with and it would be nice to run diagnostics on anything you're considering buying!
The following are my own personal views on what to look for:
No coil conversion
V8 with LPG conversion (certificated)
2 sets of working keys/ fobs. Check locks work on all doors
Huge pile of service history/ bills to support, preferably to include at least 1- new set of bags, compressor overhaul, valve block overhaul, prop UJ's, water pump, head gaskets. The more money the previous owner(s) have thrown at it, the less of yours will have to go the same way.
Extended road test to include stop/ start town driving, hard pulls up hills followed by idling parked up, anything that'll show weakness in cooling system
All toys working including HEVAC- test all the manual functions to make sure flaps are moving and make sure cheque book symbol doesn't pop up
No warnings in Message Centre- things like windows/ sunroof not set are an indication that battery has been off recently- why?!
Good tyres plus a spare tyre- at £120 each for decent ones that's £500 on the cost of the car if they're threadbare
Sound system that works (all speakers) and doesn't buzz or hum. If non- OE especially important to check all speakers work and sound is good. There are a lot of bodged installs out there.
Don't be afraid of age. Condition and service history/ bills are much more important.
Check MOT history- you can do it online through gov.uk. See what advisories/ fails its had and get a feel for use/ mileage patterns. Watch for low miles between MOTs as it usually means it's been laid up for some reason! For the same reason avoid anything that's been laid up for a period of time then freshly put back on road.
Take someone with you who knows P38's if you can. There's no substitute for experience!
Don't buy the first one you see and be prepared to travel a bit for the right one.
Personally I don't buy from traders/ forecourts, but you do get some Sale of Goods protection if you do.
Genuine bargains are hard to find. By now, most people are selling these because they can't/ won't keep them maintained and the niggling problems have mounted up.
Good luck and happy hunting!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers much as I expected thanks, shame about the Nanocom being too specific reading on a prospective purchase would probably be really handy!
Think I will have to go see a few and see how I go, not afraid of doing some work but equally would rather avoid doing a lot!
I expect my budget will mean a harder search and probably some minor issues but that's never bothered me before, happy to traipse the country but will go see a few nearer home to get a feel first.
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
... shame about the Nanocom being too specific reading on a prospective purchase would probably be really handy!
It's not that it's too specific. The Evo will read every module on all 3 P38 types except the engine control module. It'll only read that ECU on the type you have licensed. As you don't know whether you're getting a GEMS, Bosch or diesel there's a 2/3 risk that you'll buy the wrong licence and then have to buy the appropriate one once you've chosen the vehicle! You can't buy it without a licence for at least one type, although you can buy multiple licences for all types on the same unit.
A low cost basic code reader will read a lot of the codes, so if you already have one you could plug it in and see what you get.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers that makes sense, in an ideal world I would probably pick a late Bosch v8 but who knows. I do have a basic obd2 job so can always try, although I expect anything that would get me twitchy should be accompanied by a message, light or symbol

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Cheers that makes sense, in an ideal world I would probably pick a late Bosch v8 but who knows. I do have a basic obd2 job so can always try, although I expect anything that would get me twitchy should be accompanied by a message, light or symbol
You'd think so, but on the Brit models the MIL light is pretty much disabled, unlike on the export models where it'll light up for everything, including to indicate changes in the moon's phase or whether the car in front has a slight misfire.
No messages or warnings for emissions/ fuel related stuff, but lots of "useful" ones like low washer fluid, bulb and fuse failures (sometimes when they haven't). You develop a Pavlovian response to the ping indicating something on the message display :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should have guessed things like MIL lights wouldnt be as hoped lol.
I have spotted a couple for sale locally (that I have no intention to buy) but will try to go and view this weekend to get a feel for them.

Are there any local owners who would let me look round their P38 to help me begin to increase my understanding in preperation to buy?

·
Registered
298 Posts
You might consider the Hawkeye from Bearmach. I have been using one and it has answered all my questions. It will do engine codes for either GEMS or Bosch. With optional cables I have been able to clear EAS faults and an airbag fault. It will let you exercise the EAS components and read live data. Don't know the cost in comparison to the others but I suspect a fair bit cheaper. Also don't know what others think of these.
cheers,
Gordon

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You might consider the Hawkeye from Bearmach. I have been using one and it has answered all my questions. It will do engine codes for either GEMS or Bosch. With optional cables I have been able to clear EAS faults and an airbag fault. It will let you exercise the EAS components and read live data. Don't know the cost in comparison to the others but I suspect a fair bit cheaper. Also don't know what others think of these.
cheers,
Gordon
Very quickly sold my Hawkeye to buy a Nano Evo!
Evo is around £50 more than Hawkeye, but far more capable. Can record live data to SD card thus able to analyse/ graph on PC. Good user support (Hawkeye non-existent). Greater range of analysis and reporting. Regular software/ firmware updates. The list is long.
The Hawkeye is a reasonable tool and a step up from generic handheld code readers, but dig around the forums and its the Evo that is most mentioned. Hawkeye barely gets talked about.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Should have guessed things like MIL lights wouldnt be as hoped lol.
I have spotted a couple for sale locally (that I have no intention to buy) but will try to go and view this weekend to get a feel for them.
Are there any local owners who would let me look round their P38 to help me begin to increase my understanding in preperation to buy?
You're welcome to have a look at my two, they represent both ends of the production run of the P38, but I don't think South Devon is exactly local for you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers for the thoughts I did consider hawkeye briefly but the nano seemed the most appropriate.

Thanks for the offer of a look round yours, I find myself in Devon of occasion so it could work out whereabouts are you, feel free to PM me.
Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Joe

You certainly seem to be going into this in the right way - with your eyes wide open!

It is a pity because my son was supposed to be coming down to Bournemouth this weekend in my P38 - looks like that is not on the cards any more. But if it is, there might be the opportunity for you to have a look around then. Failing that, if work brings you up Watford way at any point then you are more than welcome to drop by and have a play.

Good luck with your search mate.

Cheers, Mark

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Thanks for the offer of a look round yours, I find myself in Devon of occasion so it could work out whereabouts are you, feel free to PM me.
PM sent Joe!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
15 Posts
if your near Plymouth any time, you can pop in for a cuppa and check over my
p38's, one is circa 1997, the other is 2000. big difference in spec's so could give you a good idea.
bri

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
if your near Plymouth any time, you can pop in for a cuppa and check over my
p38's, one is circa 1997, the other is 2000. big difference in spec's so could give you a good idea.
bri
You can do a tour of not so local Range Rovers :)
Have to drive past my place to get to Plymouth- that'd be 4 P38s in the bag...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dorset owners needed to inspect P38s

Hi all,
Firstly thanks a lot for the replies and messages on my buying thread. All really helpful info and I have been to look round a couple of local range rovers and am hopefully going to get a tour of some by members who know a bit more than me!
So I am back here asking for a bit more assistance...
Firstly if any of you UK members are based near Dorset and wouldnt mind showing off your P38 please send me a message, as far as I am concerned I cant get enough info!

Secondly and possibly more importantly I wondered if any of you would mind keeping an eye open for P38's fo sale locally to you, and maybe even take a look at some for me?? I know its a big ask, but its becoming clear that P38's that sound like they might be worth a look are few and far between and I could easily spend all my budget travelling the country viewing rubbish.
I have no problems with travelling anywhere for the right, or even a highly likely car, but figured if some of you more knowledgable people saw or knew of a decent car for sale then I might be able to at least whittle the list down!

As for what I am after... well I have a preference for V8 but could be pursuaded by a decent diesel. I have no must haves in terms of spec, other than the fact I want air suspension in my life! That said if one was cheap enough I would consider converting it back from springs.
I have no problems with needing to do some work on whatever I buy, but would pefer something as a rolling resto rather than a driveway ornament! The only thing about carsthat I dont want to mess with is welding and corrosion... not in my skill set so ends up being too pricey for me. General mechanics, and electrics are fine, and I intend to get a Nanocom to go with it!

So a massive thank you in advance, and hopefully some of you can point out a couple of likely good Range rovers, or even view one local to you on my behalf.

Oh and I expect budget will come up... well I dont have a fixed one, but as with everything in life cheaper is better. I know the prices vary wildly, and sometims with little reflection on the actual condition so take it I am open to everything, at least until the wife finds out!

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers all,
Hopefully will get close enough to another knowledgeable member in the near future for a proper tour. I did manage a trip to see a couple of local ones, a diesel and a 4.0. Thankfully my resolve held and I didnt buy either! The diesel seemed solid enough and fairly priced (I thought) at £1250. although fairly low spec and sluggish but guess thats the diesel!
The V8 was way overpriced, (in my opinion) I was hoping it was going to be a mint example for learning from at £3750 (private aswell not a garage) but in all honesty it was a dog, rust in a few spots, torn interior and wood work was mismatched so I assume its been replaced or made up to look higher spec than it is. CD changer, One window and sunroof inoperable. No remote, book icon on, rusty exhaust and very tappety sounding engine at idle/low speed, coolant showed signs of having som stop leak or similar in it.. (copper coloured flecs everywhere). Also something was grumbling, dont know if it was a diff, prop or wheel bearing not sure how to tell the difference?!. At least experience of a few things to keep an eye out for and a reminder that price doesnt always reflect condition! Im just glad it was abou 15 miles away not a few hundred, from the advert and description (not so much the price!) I might have been tempted to travel a long way for it if I was buying.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
At least you're getting experience in spotting lemons!
The standard diesels ARE sluggish. You're either a diesel person, or not I guess.
For me, a 4.6 with lpg is the way to go (IMHO- others opinions will be polar opposites!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In an ideal world 4.6 with LPG here too.. or at least a V8 over a diesel, I havefitted LPG before (although only a simple system on a Volvo) so its presence isnt necessarily required! Im sure I could be swayed by the right diesel at the right price though, even if my ebay watch list is currently all V8's lol.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Joe, I might be in Ferndown this weekend visiting my father. PM me a contact number, and I will let you you know if I'm going. Then you can pop over & see my 1998 GEMS P38. I've done loads of fixes & got everything working except the heated seats.
Pete

1 - 20 of 21 Posts