RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all,
I have a couple of p38s: a'98 and a 2000 (both 4.6 HSEs). I generally drive one whilst fixing/upgrading the other..

Have just overhauled the EAS valve block and compressor on the 2000 and whilst out on a shake-down run noticed my brake accumulator / pressure pump runs almost continuously (has been doing so / getting worse for a while..). After reading on here of the travails of others in this area I sought to check the flow from the reservoir into the pump. Flow out of the reservoir seems fine: in fact the level in the reservoir drops about an inch or so (i.e. from about 1cm overfull to +1 cm below the min level. Is this normal? How much fluid goes into the accumulator and does any go anywhere else?

thanks..

AndyW
Adelaide

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,157 Posts
If the pump is running on every press of the pedal, then it sounds like the accumulator is shot alright. It's a quick/easy replacement - I would send you a link to one of the main forum pages where it had the instructions to replace it, but they seem to have disappeared into some abyss at the moment.

To swap it you just need to press the brake pedal 30 odd times, wait a minute, and press it another few times to make sure it's completely depressurised.

Then it's a case of undo the old one, replace with a new one. No need to bleed the brakes etc.

Fluid level... it should be sitting at 'Max' once the system is pressurized (pump stopped running after startup), and once it's powered off will slowly bleed down with the final fill level being somewhat above 'Max' (probably about 1cm).

Yours sounds like the fluid level is correct, but if the pump is filling the accumulator with fluid, rather than it being pressurised (there's a rubber diaphragm in there which usually has 80bar of nitrogen on the other side of it to build pressure - if that's gone, then the pump will be able to pump more fluid in), then the level will drop further.

The accumulators are only available as genuine WABCO units, and probably the cheapest place to get one shipped internationally would be from someone like Island 4x4 or LR Direct here in the UK.

Hope this helps,
Marty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all; have ordered a replacement accumulator from the UK and will use the blue (as opposed to green) car until it's arrived and installed.
Great forum...

Rgds
AndyW

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just went thru the same thing. The price of a new accumulator hurt, but solved the issue right away. 10 minute repair, and now the truck stops the way it is supposed to.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Repolacing the accumulator is probably the easiest job on the P38, about 2 minutes work..

Ignition off, press brake pedal obout 30 times, turn the accumulator of with an oil filter wrench, and put the new one on..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts