RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching everywhere to find instructions or any tips on how to wire in an electric brake controller on a P38. I see people have done it, but I cannot find any information about how they installed it.

I took the car to U-Haul to install a brake controller, but the technician couldn't locate the Brake Wire.

So, if anyone has wired their car, please share so we can create a definitive thread for doing this.

Most seem to install the controller under the dash by your knees. Where did you splice in the wires (location and colors) and how did you route the wire back to the trailer connector?

I have bought the 4 pin harness kit from RoverParts.com and I picked up a 4 pin to 7 pin adapter from U-Haul with the wiring for brake controller and ground.

Please help.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Any clues as to the year and specs of your Rover? Or shall we just guess?

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
I'm not sure how one could not find the brake wire. It's at the top of the brake pedal on the brake light switch. A quick poke with a test light will tell you which is live and which is switched. Ground your controller on any of the metal dash support, firewall, door sill... a ground is a ground and there are lots of places to do so. From there you route to the rear like any other car, truck, wagon... tuck your wiring behind the lower dash trim and run it under the sill trims/under the carpet to the rear. There really is nothing definitive, it is a standard basic install. Since you are using the proper wiring kit your lighting is taken care of. If you want to know the colour of the wire you are hooking into, RAVE will have full schematics, location photos and pinouts for everything you need.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts