RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving along in the 1999 P38 2.5 diesel at a steady 30mph and the gearbox seemed to slip halfway between neutral and drive. Engine still running with no problems, slipped selector to 2nd gear and then back at it was OK.

Also occasionally the rear wheels skip - one wheels spin faster than the other!

Recently removed the xyz switch to clean it as it was showing signs of crud, Could it be this just needs re-adjusting??? or could it be something else???

Also recently changed the oil in all diffs and the transfer box.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additional info re the gearbox, Brother is driving the P38 and reports that he had to take the engine well over 4000 revs to get the gearbox to change up to 4th gear - ease off the revs slightly and it will change. He also reports that there is a smell similar to manual clutch burning!!!
Now taking the old girl off the road until I can investigate!
Cheers Mike

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Typically, with the transmission, it's more likely to have issues with the ATF level or the torque converter. I would check the condition and the level of the ATF right away before anything else.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Further clarification from brother . He was actually approaching an upward slope in the road and everything was fine. He was expecting the gear change up to fourth, instead the engine just revved up towards 5000 revs.

Thanks for the response Theor. The oil was changed about 18 months ago along with a new filter. Will be checking this at the weekend. Thanks again, Mike

·
Super Moderator
3,108 Posts
I assume it is the same with the diesel as the V8 but gearchanges are controlled mainly by the MAF sensor. So a duff signal from that will affect when the gears change. If he was approaching an incline and gave it more throttle in anticipation, then it would hold onto the gear rather than changing up.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
It does not sound good but first eliminate a few things. Check the transmission fluid level as TheoR said. Then run with the MAF unplugged.

Any difference?

Report back.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
May be his car having MAP.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
It is a 1999 so should have a MAF, EGR and plastic inlet manifold.
A faulty MAF affects the gearchanges. Not sure exactly why, but the advice was given to me by Ashcrofts.
If it is unplugged it will run on default settings as a sort of temporary get you home measure.
I don't think it is that. I think it is something more serious, but eliminate lack of fluid in the box and then the MAF.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts