RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,104 Posts
Starting from cold and that noise is short lived. But when hot, its realy hot here. 30 to 35 C and will go up by March -April.

I changed the starter about 3 yrs back, a remanufactured Hella.

·
Registered
87 Posts
VC is exactly as Richard described, I would replace the VC and not the whole fan.
In Greeece during the hot summer months (more than 30 C from June to September) I've never heard mine become noisy.

Check and replace the existing alternator if it's not charging properly.
These cars have sold in the hundreds of thousands and have run millions of miles, you don't need to rediscover the wheel when you have a problem, you just need to make sure the systems run as they were intended to.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
As above, if the car starts and all electrics are in good shape (no losses, alternating charging as it should, starter OK etc) there is no reason why it wold fail after a short drive.

At the high temperatures you quote, the viscous is supposed to work, and it is not unusual to be heard. On most cars you can hear the electric fan(s) come on as well (at low revs, window open, radio not on full...). And again, the viscous will shift a lot more air than an electrical fan can. I don't get why so many people see fitting an electrical fan as an upgrade. It is common now because most engines are transverse, not because it is better at providing cooling. They do have some advantages, but also more likely to fail. I've seen switches, wiring and the electric motors fail, always leaving you with no cooling at all. With a viscous there's a chance it will fail in the locked state, not pleasant but at least you still have cooling. And even if they become too lose, you still get some airflow.

Still think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be...

Filip

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
"Still think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be..."
May be;)

My experience tells me that both, electric fan & VC , have simillar failure rates. Also, when the VC failed in my RR last time, it was not locked.

Not all vehicles with electric fans have transverse engine installation. My Audi is one example.
I agree on the high capacity of VC fan but its noise is annoying. No conversation possible unless at highway speeds or shouting.
My idea is to get the high capacity alt and see if the electric fans can handle the job.:cool:

Okay, now to find that wiring diagram............

·
Super Moderator
2,988 Posts
Not sure if the diesel fan is noisier than on a V8 but I can hear if my VC fan is locked up but that's all. I can hear the difference in sound but that's it, a difference, it isn't noisier from inside the car and while it can just about be heard from outside, it certainly isn't what anyone would call loud.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Wonder, why OP is not responding

·
Registered
355 Posts
Have to agree with Richard_G on the fan noise for the V8 engines. I have never noticed the fan noise on either the 4.0 I previously owned or my current 4.6. Why would a diesel fan be so much louder? Different pulleys making it spin faster?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
This is the wiring diagram, for anyone interested.

For me, now to find an alternator , 140A BMW E39. Probably on bay of e.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Further info;

Attachments

21 - 29 of 29 Posts