RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.
A couple of weeks ago my pump stopped working and brakes went really spongy, I gave the abs relay a shuffle and the pump turned on for a second and then switched off. I took the relay out and it rattles, so I've replaced that with a new one. (Pump still doesn't fire up) Abs and traction control lights are on and breaks seem to be working still with a few pumps. I've tested all appropriate fuses for power and power is going through them and to the relay. When I attached electrical tester to wires that go to the switch, my pump turned on. Just today my brakes now completely lock up when I reverse with my foot on the brake and have to use the handbrake when reversing and not touch the brake pedal. Any help or advice would be very appreciated as im stumped as to what is going on. Thankyou

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
you mention "brake lock up" yet apparently you had to "use the hand brake to stop". a lock up would stop the truck short, no need to use hand brake.
at the same time you mention your abs pump is working sporadically due to a possible electrical failure, may I suggest you make sure your abs pump is fully and continuously operating before the next step of diagnosis.
it may be your improperly working abs pump is the root of the cause.

·
Registered
227 Posts
you mention "brake lock up" yet apparently you had to "use the hand brake to stop". a lock up would stop the truck short, no need to use hand brake.
at the same time you mention your abs pump is working sporadically due to a possible electrical failure, may I suggest you make sure your abs pump is fully and continuously operating before the next step of diagnosis.
it may be your improperly working abs pump is the root of the cause.

I think he meant he needed to use his handbrake when backing up otherwise his brakes locked up and he could not go anywhere. Odd that they would lock up in reverse and apparently not in forward.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I think he meant he needed to use his handbrake when backing up otherwise his brakes locked up and he could not go anywhere. Odd that they would lock up in reverse and apparently not in forward.

that is why I suggested the electrical issue be sorted first and only then be able to proceed with proper diagnosis of the brakes.
doe not make much sense unless he is not getting full abs pressure.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If it's managed to burn out the dual contact, high current relay used on the ABS pump, and I hope the replacement is the correct one and not a yellow or generic 4 pin relay, I suspect it's burnt out the fusebox underneath. Long and tedious repair (https://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/electrical/fusebox.html) or better still, replace it with new. That will at least get the pump running when it should and may well sort the other problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, I sorted out the brake lock up in reverse, it was front driver's side caliper locking up on the rim as the top bolt had fallen out.
In regards to the electrical, I've checked for power on all albs fuses and relays, there is power going through them, so I don't think it's the fuse box. I replaced the and relay with same relay that came out. It's a specific relay that has one thinner pin so you can't replace with any other relays except the correct one... I'm still at a loss as to what it could be. I guess that I'm just hoping that's it's not the pump as it's quite costly to replace. Is there anyway I can test the pump, and do I need to clear codes to get pump to start working again?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Remove the ABS relay and put a jumper in the holes where pins 30 and 87 would be. If the pump runs, it's OK, if it doesn't, then it isn't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts