RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Over the years I have owned all sorts of vehicles including 3 Land Rover variants. The two on by best list are my current Volvo V70R 6 speed manual and my long gone P38.
I have the chance to purchase a 93 Discovery 5 speed manual, and are considering making a purchase to use the 5 speed transmission in a P38. I know that in a UK spec it is possible to get a 5 speed P38 obviously in RHD. I feel sure that in Europe a manual was possible in LHD too.
My question is does any one know if the USA spec firewall stamping is the same as the European one and will except a manual (clutch) peddle box.
I had all sorts of issues with my P38, and finally gave up the ghost with catastrophic auto gearbox failure.
I love to drive a manual car and used to own a 5 speed Classic R/R.
Any input would be helpful.
Cheers,
X-brit

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
There's at least one thread on here discussing the ins and outs of manual conversions, you should look for it.

And if you have a 1993 Discovery, it has the wrong gearbox.
I didn't think you got Discoveries in the US until '94...

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I started looking into this conversion about as soon as I got my 4.6 auto.
In Europe both the 2.5 diesel and 4.0 V8 were avalaible with the R380 (not the same box, the diesel has a lower 1st gear), but not too common. Especially the 4.0 manual is quite rare.

The conversion will take quite some work:
- flywheel/clutch
- transmission oil cooler
- pedal box
- transfer box differs manual/auto, you also need another transfer box ECU and the switch to engage low gear

I decided it wasn't worth it and found myself a 4.0 manual which I refitted with the 4.6. Swapping engines is a lot easier then going from autobax to manual.

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input guys You where correct my donor Discovery is a 94 not 93 (well spotted) but their is a problem... the clutch was replaced recently with an entire kit. However when you depress the clutch to the floor, you can hear a sound that sounds like something hitting the throwout bearing. A fraction off the floor and everything works perfectly. Could this be an adjustment since the throwout bearing was replaced with the clutch and pressure plate..
I planned to use the Discovery as a daily driver until a suitable P38 is available.
But taking a different route are their a quite a few P38 manuals around in the US?
Cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
xbrit said:
But taking a different route are their a quite a few P38 manuals around in the US?
Officially, none.

However, one parts supplier has recently shipped a pedal box to the US for a conversion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts