RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own a P38 4.6 HSE 1996, which I bought with a stuffed engine, this is all done up now, almost ready for a roadworthy test.

Last week I got my Nanocom Evolution, I connected it, started the car and had a play with it, I had only entered one unlock code, so only acces to the GEMS menu.
After I turned of the car, she won't start anymore....

No messages on the display, starter motor doesn't turn over.
When I connect the Nanocom and go to Gems / outputs, and select one of the options (MILL lamp - O2 Heated sensor - fuel pump - aircon stuff) and start it, the starter motor turns over when I turn the key, and can keep doing this till I take the key from the ignition.
I don't think I changed anything, if that's even possible.

At Blackbox Solutions the say it can't be the Nanocom because it's only a diagnostics tool, but I think it did causes the problem.

I checked all the fuses and shuffled around with the relais.

I don't have a clue what it can be..

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Saying diagnostic gear caused your car to fail is like saying a wrench caused your issues. Nanocom is simply a tool you use in the shop like any other.

With it being "all done up know" it is most likely something simple that has been missed.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Simple as in, sound's like the ECU and Becm have lost sync somehow. I believe with Gems, if the Check engine light does not illuminate when the ign is turned on, it has not performed a correct handshake, thus will not start. Crank, yes, fire up no.
Try the EKA? if you know it........I am sure a Gems guy will chime in here and correct me if I am wrong. +1 on TH's post. The Evo did not cause this. Getting the Becm unlock for it from BBS can however allow you to re sync the 2 modules. If you are going to keep this beast, you will want to get all module unlock codes from BBS.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
No need for EKA, he can simply look at the BeCM and ECU for matching codes. If they don;t match he can change one of them.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
As you say, just look at both........Thus the need to purchase the unlock code for the Becm for his Evo from BBS. Having only the ECU functionality is good, but in this case not good enough.

2 other options are Sync Mate, or the Gems module from your own home grown source Labtronics
http://www.labtronx.com.au/mobi-lize.htm

I put in one of these for a friend in Bay of Islands and it works very well.
Good luck

·
Registered
84 Posts
Simple as in, sound's like the ECU and Becm have lost sync somehow. I believe with Gems, if the Check engine light does not illuminate when the ign is turned on, it has not performed a correct handshake, thus will not start. Crank, yes, fire up no.
Try the EKA? if you know it........I am sure a Gems guy will chime in here and correct me if I am wrong. +1 on TH's post. The Evo did not cause this. Getting the Becm unlock for it from BBS can however allow you to re sync the 2 modules. If you are going to keep this beast, you will want to get all module unlock codes from BBS.
That's pretty close. With a GEMS if the check engine light doesn't illuminate with the ignition in the on position, then the ECU and BECM have lost sync and the motor won't even crank.

Are you getting the Check Engine?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I understand the EKA is disabled on Australian models, there should be a sticker in the handbook saying this.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I saw the option to turn on/off the imobilizer on my Nano. I would make sure you didnt turn it on or off.

·
Super Moderator
2,194 Posts
Turning off Immobiliser doesn't cause any problems as all it does is turn off passive immobilisation. With it on the immobiliser resets if you don't start the engine within 30 seconds of unlocking the door. Then, assuming your fob is working correctly, when you turn the ignition on it causes the fob to transmit to turn it off again or you get a message on the dash telling you to press remote or enter code. With it switched off, it only sets the immobiliser when you lock the car, turns it off if you unlock it and leaves it off.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies.

Indeed, no Check engine light illuminates when I turn the ignition on pos 2.

I did hear of losing sync, never realized this might be the case with mine..

Um, can I check with the Nanocom if the codes macth from Becm and ecu?
Can a Nanocom be used to sync Becm and ECU?

Labtronics hacked my engine ECU, nice guy he is. The car also didn't had any keys (it was abandoned by a mainlander, happens more often here), new keys are expensive, and it turned out I don't have the original locks anymore, so I bought a whole set from a wreckers in the UK, with that ECU my car idled at 2300rpm, so I had my own ECU hacked so it runs good again.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You can use the Nano.
Look at the ECU and find the immob code number, then go into the Becm, find the Immob code stored there, and change it to the one from the ECU. Write new settings, and start the engine.
Out of curiosity, when you say he hacked the ECU, what did he actually do?
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I certainly sounds like a software issue in your case, given the changes made to BECM, keys, and such. But I would still check the starter solenoid wire for 12v when you turn the key. If its there, its probably your starter and not a sync issue. And only minutes to verify.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The car is a GEMS, which needs a different process on the Nano to resync the BECM/ Engine ECU. The process of reading/ writing codes is for the Thor.
Here's how to do the GEMS:
Security learn mode:When the ignition is turned on, the BECM, providing it is in receipt
of a valid mobilization code and is therefore not in an alarmed or immobilised state,
sends a coded signal to the GEMS which the Gems then compares against a mobilization
code it has stored in it. If the two codes compare OK, the Gems will allow the engine to
start. This forms the basis of the immobiliser. If the GEMS ECU, the BECM, or the lockset
& key fob is replaced or other data in the BECM is changed, it may be required for the
GEMS to re-learn a new mobilization code. This is done by using this function to put the
GEMS into Security learn mode whereby the next coded signal it receives is not
compared but is instead stored as the master copy. When security learn mode has been
entered the ignition must be turned off and turned back on to trigger the BECM into
sending the code. The GEMS will check the incoming code and should accept it;
however, if there is an error no matter how slight in the codes makeup, the GEMS can
reject it, in which case there will be no valid code stored. This situation can be checked
by looking at the security learn status in Inputs - Engine and Other which denotes
whether the system has a valid code stored or not.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,215 Posts
As others have said - No check engine light + no crank on a GEMS = no crank, no starting.

To fix with Nanocom:

Plug Nanocom in,
Ignition on, to Position II
On Nanocom:
Press R-Rover P38 ->
Press GEMS ->
Press GEMS ->
Press RH Green Arrow to go to second page ->
Press UTILITY ->
Press LEARN SECURITY CODE

It should come up with a message saying it's told the ECU to relearn security code or something like that. You can now press OK, and then the red X at the bottom right corner to exit out and then power off the nanocom.

Turn ignition OFF

Wait few seconds, and turn ignition back to Position II

On power up, the ending ECU will receive the code from the BECM and store that as it's new security code for the immobiliser.

You should now get the CEL on the cluster, and be able to start the vehicle.

Hope this helps,
Marty

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for the replies!!

She still doesn't run...

@ Bolt; Where can I find the needed codes? Specific please, I'm a bit of a noob regarding this kind of stuff..
No idea what is done to the ECU, it should run on whatver BECM, I needed to cut a wire.

@ Norcal RR;Starter motor turns over by key when I go through GEMS GEMS Output menu.

@ Orangebean; GEMS - Inputs - Engine Others; Security learn NO, Security Mobilized NO, This I checked after I entered Security Learn option.

@ Marty; I did exactly as you said, a few times, but no luck.. No CEL pops up on the screen..

I went to GEMS - GEMS - Settings, 2 x arrow right, there are several number; Patented-Intel-TMS-Part-ECU Tune ID, I tried all these numbers in the BECM - Alarm - Immobilization code, I pressed Write settings afterwards...

I hope I do something wrong, because if not, I'm getting real nervous..

Where do I exactly find the the numbers needed? And where exactly do I enter it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You're digging yourself into a larger hole- and still digging- if you keep on writing random numbers into your BECM.
Reading back through the thread, the engine ECU that you are currently using has been modified by Labtronics to operate as standalone. You've "cut a wire" to make it work. Your first move should be to contact them and find out how to reset it to their default, as my understanding of their mod is that it will enable the engine to run whatever the status of the BECM and its alarm/ immobiliser is at.
The other BECM etc that you bought from UK and ran, but idled at 2500 most likely just needed its adaptive values reset. You can do that with your Nano.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're possibly right!

But isn't it weird then that, most likely, me car lost it's sync?

I was thinking of trying the old ECU..

Do you know how to change the settings to lower the idle?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
But isn't it weird then that, most likely, me car lost it's sync?
Weird or not, it has. Talk to Labtronix. The ECU that they've modified doesn't need a sync handshake with BECM
I was thinking of trying the old ECU.. Do you know how to change the settings to lower the idle?
As I said above- resetting the Adaptive Values will enable the ECU to learn the settings required for the engine. If you put in another engine ECU you will have to also relearn the immobilisation code.
Suggest you stop just randomly changing stuff, get Labtronics to talk you through resetting their modified ECU. Tell them you have a Nano so can get into it and change whatever needs to be changed.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She runs on the ECU what idles at 2500rpm, fired straight away..

Next question ;) How to set idle with a Nanocom?

Better send an Email to Labtronics then..

Thanks

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts